• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

More info about this burst? Joe Walsh

NINFNM

Hi wise men

Do you have more info/pics about this burst?:

YWzVSDV.jpg

The flame is inclined in relation to the top axis in a non symmetrical way, I have never seen that before
Picture from BOTB

JJ Blair

Argh. Saw him tonight and would have asked if I had seen this thread.

bobbradley

I had an old star licks video, in that video joe was talking about a burst he was having restored it had been painted black. In the video they flashed a quick photo of what looked like the pictured guitar:hmm
I could be wrong it was long ago .... But maybe :)

houndog31

I had an old star licks video, in that video joe was talking about a burst he was having restored it had been painted black. In the video they flashed a quick photo of what looked like the pictured guitar:hmm

This one?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

The caption of the photo says he bought it after it was restored.
That makes it sound like it is not the one in the video [shown below]. :)

NINFNM

Yea, it seems that it's not the same guitar.
Interesting video though!

blewsbreaker

Who is Rodger?

That's Roger Giffin from the old Gibson Custom Shop West. He was building me my Les Paul Replica and showed me that 1958 burst in the early 90's.
It was from South Africa (I think) and very early on in it's life, the owner painted it black!!!! Roger painstakingly got all the black paint off the guitar and what was underneath was a beautiful un-faded 1958 burst!
It was gorgeous!
Wonder where it is now? :hmm

chasenblues

That's Roger Giffin from the old Gibson Custom Shop West.
Wonder where it is now? :hmm

This him?

In early 94', my partner Brett Allen and I started R&B instrument Services (on Sunset Blvd.). For the next three years we were kept very busy mainly on repairs and service. Then, in the spring of '97, I branched out on my own again.

Giffin Guitars U.S.A.
I worked in Los Angeles up until June of 2004 building small quantities of hand made guitars from my home.
In July 2004, I moved once again, and am now operating from Portland, Oregon.

http://www.giffinguitars.com/index.htm

Ed A

And on a less important note... I had that VHS tape when it first came out.... and to this day I string my guitars just as Joe did back then!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
No comments on the tailpiece position? :laugh2: An obvious 'Bigsby-only' Burst that had the tailpiece added.

Wonder if those holes were plugged and relocated during the restoration? :hmm

Including the tune-o-matic holes? :ganz

El Gringo

Rodger Giffin is the best . Back in March 1992 I sent him my 1971 Gibson Les Paul Custom and he worked miracles and wonders of the world and made it right again for me in the West Coast Gibson Custom Shop . Rodger was an absolute gentleman and ever so helpful to me and really took great care of my Les Paul . I got real lucky having it go into his skilled hands !

sws1

No comments on the tailpiece position? :laugh2: An obvious 'Bigsby-only' Burst that had the tailpiece added.

Wonder if those holes were plugged and relocated during the restoration? :hmm

This has one of those router plunge marks (I think) that usually aren't on bursts. Could this be a GT in disguise?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hi wise men

Do you have more info/pics about this burst?:

YWzVSDV.jpg

The flame is inclined in relation to the top axis in a non symmetrical way, I have never seen that before
Picture from BOTB

I have this photo [without the caption] as a Gary Richrath Burst.
I put it in my photo gallery in May 2011 and there is likely a "Burst Pic of the Week" feature near that date.

Richrath%20Burst%2C%20Bigsby%20only%2C%20before.JPG

I probably got the photo from Ed Seelig. :)