• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1964 SG Special

guitplayer

Nice! That Wiggle stick looks like a 63.. Either way is awesome.

Might be. Pots date 44th /63. But at least an early 64.
Neck profile is great Kinda baseball. But not quite. Strong p-90`s.

Hotshot

My 64 SG Special has the same vibrato. :wah

Youd be the guy to ask Tom, Do you know what year Vibrolas came out? I say that because my 64 junior has a nickel one, I’ve seen other 64 Juniors with one but many I see for sale are without one. The 64 Catologs I’ve seen don’t show it either, yet Mr John B has spoken about a Gibson accessory catalog.

Now on 65 Juniors I see chrome ones often. Just like the Orig posters pic, I see those on 63s a lot.

Havent found an answer. Some history / nerdism I’m after here.

Hotshot

Might be. Pots date 44th /63. But at least an early 64.
Neck profile is great Kinda baseball. But not quite. Strong p-90`s.

having just picked one up, I only mentioned it because in my searches I saw 63s with that bar. What’s your serial start with? Mines 171 and it’s press in, not stamped. I was also told the POT dates are more used full. I do have a few PDF docs on the insane Serial number decade if you want

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Youd be the guy to ask Tom, Do you know what year Vibrolas came out? I say that because my 64 junior has a nickel one, I’ve seen other 64 Juniors with one but many I see for sale are without one. The 64 Catologs I’ve seen don’t show it either, yet Mr John B has spoken about a Gibson accessory catalog.

Now on 65 Juniors I see chrome ones often. Just like the Orig posters pic, I see those on 63s a lot.

Havent found an answer. Some history / nerdism I’m after here.

I don't know so much about the time line of that vibrato. The 62 catalog shows the earlier Maestro Vibrola but not this version. I have never seen a Gibson catalog between the 1962 and the 1966.
But the 64 I have is equipped with this vibrato. You can see it at the Texas show this weekend if you are planning to attend.

Hotshot

I wish. Im normally in the Houston area for work and going to a guitar show after my new acquisition is a no no to the Mrs...

fernieite

Beauty!

Glad to see another one managed to avoid being bought and perhaps smashed by Pete Townshend. :hank

Progrocker111

Cool one, i have had a early 64 SG Junior and the tone was really amazing, the P90 was very strong. Like you are saying, extremely resonant guitar too.

I would prefer the strings over wraparound tailpiece instead of the clumsy vibrola though... :)