• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Lemon Oil usage

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Hey guys,

I've always liked using this stuff on my fretboard, up to now I've applied it every string change (which is usually around once a month). Just wondering how often you guys use this stuff on your boards, and whether there's the possibility of any negative effects long term? Thinking about cutting it back to applying it every other change, but just thought I'd ask you guys and see what the deal is.

I just use a very pure lemon essential oil. Thanks in advance, have a great weekend :yah

Keefoman

Mini Forklift Ⓥ;2813257 said:
Hey guys,

I've always liked using this stuff on my fretboard, up to now I've applied it every string change (which is usually around once a month). Just wondering how often you guys use this stuff on your boards, and whether there's the possibility of any negative effects long term? Thinking about cutting it back to applying it every other change, but just thought I'd ask you guys and see what the deal is.

I just use a very pure lemon essential oil. Thanks in advance, have a great weekend :yah

I've heard about frets coming loose due to extensive use of oil. You don't need to use oil on the fretboard other than if it has dried out. I use Fret Doctor bore oil about once a year on the guitars with rosewood fretboard. Not because it's needed, but because I like the smooth feeling. Most common is fretboards that never see a drop of oil in its entire lifetime of the guitar, and that seems to be fine too. Cleaning it with a damp microfibercloth when changing strings, isn't a bad idea, though.

stilwel

I use Howard Feed N Wax on all of my rosewood and ebony boards. Only when it looks like it needs it.

HFNW_l.jpg

duaneflowers

Mini Forklift Ⓥ;2813257 said:
I just use a very pure lemon essential oil.

Pure Lemon Oil is one of the worst things you can put on your guitar fretboard... not only is it pure acid but it will go rancid after a while as well, adding a whole new layer of problems. Guys talking about using lemon oil are pretty much using products with a little bit of lemon oil in them (several are advertised as lemon oil but actually have no lemon oil at all in them at all) which is generally pretty safe. I have used fret doctor for many years... you will have great results with it as long as you don't overuse it.

latestarter

We've talked about this a fair bit here. Too much oil is a problem. Imagine soaking a spruce top in oil and tapping it top listen for resonance...and then doing the same on one that's dry. The dry will sound better. Oil wet wood has all the tonal qualities of a damp sock.

Maybe check the board once every 6 months and only lightly coat it if it really needs it. Some of my guitars I'm lucky if they need something yearly. My '99 R9 which I use every gig probably hasn't had, nor needed, oiling in 2 years. I gig every other week and play most days.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Cheers for the replies, very helpful and sounds like there's some nuggets of good info in there. FWIW when I use it I'm not directly applying it to the board, I'm literally putting a drop onto a cloth and lightly rubbing it onto the frets (3 drops would be all I'm using to do the whole neck).
I might cut back to just using it maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I've been using the same brand on my #1 Strat since the mid 90's and have never had any issues, although that's a maple neck versus my LP which is rosewood. My Dad has been using it on his 1977 ES 355 fingerboard every other string change - 41 years with no issues and his board looks great. He still gigs with it most weekends and unbelievably it's never had a refret. I wanted to ask as my LP is new in my hands and I'm pretty sure this one's a keeper, so wanting to look after it as optimally as possible.

renderit

I am in HUMID Texas and I use it once every couple of years. And I probably don't need it that much. But it smells nice.

PaulLaRue

I used Lemon oil for years without any problems. Recently switched to Boiled Linseed Oil and like it much better. The lemon oil I used evaporated very quickly, so I doubt any oil build up issues. The Linseed oil darkens rosewood so much better,lasts longer and actually forms a protective thin film , good stuff. $8.00 bucks at Home Depot.

renderit

Just remember to put de LIME in da coconut...

Now get THAT outta yer 'ead before New Years!

lespaul1970

I've had Les Pauls and other guitars for many many years now and have never used lemon or any other types of oil once. Never had a problem either. I live in the midwest and don't have a big problem with the boards being dry, but I suppose if you do, there would be a need to use it. I know several people who have had the fret markers come loose from the board due to oiling too much, and I've just never had a need for it. But, depending on where you live I could see the possibilities where you may have to use it.

jtees4

I've been using lemon oil (the same bottle) for about 40 years. I've used mineral oil once or twice also. Never had any issue at all (except reading about it on the internet)....BUT I don't do it as often as you, and generally I use it based on the look of the fretboard, meaning if it looks relatively dry.

RocknRollShakeUp

How do you all feel about Mineral Oil. I've had good luck with it. I don't over do it, just a light application and wipe off. I use food grade mineral oil so if I pick my nose or something I am not worried about any toxic issues.

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
Sounds like the OP is oiling too much.... I oil guitar fret boards about once a year and I use a sparing amount. I keep storage humidity above 40% in the mild winter too. "Go by how it looks" is my advice, and "monitor your humidity".

Buck

Uncle Gary

How do you all feel about Mineral Oil. I've had good luck with it. I don't over do it, just a light application and wipe off. I use food grade mineral oil so if I pick my nose or something I am not worried about any toxic issues.

As far as I know, most commercial "fretboard conditioners" are mineral oil with a bit of lemon fragrance. As for me, I use something about once a year, but no more often than that.

Since I switched from "in case" humidifiers to a room humidifier in my "guitar room" I have no issues with winter dryness.