• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Les Paul 1980’s Studio Standards, pass or grab?

MattL0712

Searching around online on the hunt for another Les Paul, and I came across one of these Gibson Les Paul “Studio Standard” models. I hadn’t heard of these before, but after doing a little bit of research, I see they are very similar to a Standard model, minus the block inlays. This one is the Cherry Sunburst with the locking style tremolo, and of course the original Tim Shaw humbuckers. Does anybody have any experience with these? How are the pickups and the sound? And would it be worth the $1500 price tag? Thanks in advance!

lespaul1970

Definitely worth it! Grab it! I love mine. With the Shaw's in there, these are just awesome guitars. I've played many over the years and they were all smoking! Good price you got offered too.

Attachments

• IMG_20140929_024156438.jpg
    IMG_20140929_024156438.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 30

AJCR

Because they'd got Bill Lawrence to design a new pickup, and they were going to stick it in all the guitars.

It was the new HJ era - I'm sure you can imagine that you'd want to make some kind of innovation (plus ditch the pickup that signified the previous era) when you take over such a company. God knows nothing else about the construction was changed for the first few years.

asquinet

Searching around online on the hunt for another Les Paul, and I came across one of these Gibson Les Paul “Studio Standard” models. I hadn’t heard of these before, but after doing a little bit of research, I see they are very similar to a Standard model, minus the block inlays. This one is the Cherry Sunburst with the locking style tremolo, and of course the original Tim Shaw humbuckers. Does anybody have any experience with these? How are the pickups and the sound? And would it be worth the $1500 price tag? Thanks in advance!
Hi, I've got a 1983 (seems to be the FIRST year of production of these guitars) LP Studio Alpine White with Tim Shaw PU and I am fully satisfied! Tim Shaw sound is very good, defined, strong output, balanced from neck to bridge...comfortable neck...
Here is the link of mine: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...aul-Studio-Alpine-white-1983-with-Tim-Shaw-PU
Price I paid was like you said.

Ozarkmac

Just played one of the Studio Standard's not knowing til I read this thread what I was playing. I am looking for my first L.P. and recently decided after playing about 50 LPs that the Studio feels best to me. This particular one felt great but i am still looking for the right one. It had dots instead of the traps which turned me off but ill go back and play it again since its somewhat unique. Can't remember the exact price but i think it was around 1k.Anything else in particular i need to look for on this? Is there a serial number identification sticky or thread on this site? Found this on Reverb.co but most if not all of you already know this:

"Starting in 1977, Gibson adopted the current date-based serial system which codes for the year and day of production. The first number of the sequence indicates the decade of production, followed by the three digit day of the year, and finally the year. For example, the serial number 90237XXX corresponds to a production date of 1/23/97. The last three (or four as of 2005) digits signify the location of production and batch number, respectively, but this information isn’t necessary to accurately dating your instrument."

Last edited:

uncajoey

Buy, buy, buy. Great guitars, and criminally underrated. Dot inlays (who cares?), body is about 1/4” thinner than a Standard. Lighter, more comfy. I foolishly sold the two that I owned, one to help finance an R9, which was nice, but I liked the Studio Standard better. Buy.

Capt Brad

My 84 has a very nice set Shawbuckers!
44057772_2232804043623498_3819446452770308096_n.jpg