• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

BOOSTER PEDAL PHILOSOPHY - before or after?

Andrew

So I have been using an Xotic EP Booster as my only boost pedal for years and it's great. But as of recently I have been using it before overdrive and it sounds big and bassy. So I succumbed to my GAS and bought a Luxury Drive by Tim Jauernig (great builder that lives here in the Midwest). It is supposed to add jangley highs which is what I'm looking for (a vanilla treble booster).

I'll post footage once it arrives. Until then, how do you guys run boost pedals? Or do you just use another overdrive with no gain? Anyone familiar with Tim's stuff? or used the EP booster before or after drives?

pedalboard.jpg

grimlyflick

So I have been using an Xotic EP Booster as my only boost pedal for years and it's great. But as of recently I have been using it before overdrive and it sounds big and bassy. So I succumbed to my GAS and bought a Luxury Drive by Tim Jauernig (great builder that lives here in the Midwest). It is supposed to add jangley highs which is what I'm looking for (a vanilla treble booster).

I'll post footage once it arrives. Until then, how do you guys run boost pedals? Or do you just use another overdrive with no gain? Anyone familiar with Tim's stuff? or used the EP booster before or after drives?

View attachment 8389

Before drive = more drive
After drive = more volume

Depends what you want to do.
In the past I’ve run TS type pedals in front of a Marshall, a Spark Boost Mini in the loop and a Keeley Red Dirt Mini after an OCD, all to great effect.

Think about what you’re trying to acheive and experiment and try both.

:salude

Last edited:

zhivago

^^^^
Basically this...it also depends on how I am running an amp. If I am running an amp on the edge of breakup, I will use a boost to kick it into distortion. If I am running the amp clean, then I use an overdrive pedal with a boost in front of it to give me a bit more "hair" for leads. :dude:

mdubya

Hmmm... some of my setups:

Guitar > OD808 > Maestro Fuzz > Amp - Maestro is the rhythm sound, OD808 is the boost.

Guitar > Treble Booster > Maestro Fuzz > Amp - same as above.

Guitar > OD808 > Colorsound Overdriver Clone > Amp - same.

Occasionally;

Guitar > Treble Booster > OD808 > Amp (2204) - using TB and 808 individually for different classic OD tones. Both together for MORE of everything. Guitar volume for control.

Guitar > Maestro Fuzz > ZVex Distortron > Amp - The Distortron alone is pretty "meh" but with the Maestro in front, it turns my Champ into a fuzzed out mini JTM 45. Guitar volume to taste. Maestro after the Distortron is "meh" also.

I often end up with both pedals on, pushing the amp into "way over the edge" territory, and use the guitar volume rolled way down to maintain control. I prefer the pedal volumes set high and the drives low.

Andrew

Finally plugged in the Tim Jauernig Luxury Drive. Great pedal. I never realized how bassy the EP booster is (or how trebley the luxury is). It is great to give a little before grit to what you have. An always on pedal. My only gripe now is that the Fulltone Fulldrive boost is obsolete. To be fair i was never fond of that voicing on the boost. I never hit it before. Probably never will

duaneflowers

Back when I was using pedals I leaned pretty heavily on my Xotic SL and the internal dip switches created some subtle, yet powerful, variations. I know the booster also has that ability and I'd definitely try different settings both before and after the LD to pinpoint the effect you're after. It's really the only way to know for sure on your own rig...