• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Cleaning The Guitar neck

BerkayDemir

Lately my les paul get this white powderish thing that i think it swet or someting like dead skin cells or something else. i wipe every time after i play but it seems doesnt work. Do you know how to clean the neck

Keefoman

Probably your hand sweat reacting with the nitro laquer. If it's a new guitar, the laquer will harden with time. Use a moist microfiber cloth to wipe the neck. If it's really bad, and the finish is pretty thick, you can try 0000 grade steel wool pads.

Hotshot

Lighter fluid works great. pour on wipe off. or 75% Iso Alcohol. But i use Lighter fluid for everything pre spraying with great results. vintage or new.. It evaporates so fast and leaves no by product.

MeHereNow

.. or 75% Iso Alcohol..

Won't alcohol dissolve nitro finish?
I remember a stew mac's video about cleaning a guitar and alcohol was strongly discouraged for use on nitro.
Also on fingerboards, especially ebony boards as it will dry out the wood to extreme.

Hotshot

Won't alcohol dissolve nitro finish?
I remember a stew mac's video about cleaning a guitar and alcohol was strongly discouraged for use on nitro.
Also on fingerboards, especially ebony boards as it will dry out the wood to extreme.

In in a pinch for seconds no, not in my experience. At least 75% won’t. But I’m talking seconds.

Lighter fluid or Napta is best. Used it twice today.

Acetone will strip nitro almost instantly. STAY AWAY!!