• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Could I get some info on this old Les Paul please?

MattL0712

So here’s the deal: my boss’s husband has an old Les Paul, and I’m looking to buy it off of them. Now they aren’t the type to get into specifics and details about their instruments, so all I was told when I first heard about it was that it was a “1966 Les Paul, in black”. While this is all fine and well, I’m fairly certain Les Pauls didn’t start production again until 1968. After getting my hands on the guitar and checking it out for myself, I’ve got suspicions that it may indeed be a 1960’s model, but that’s all I can figure out, so here’s the details I have so far: it is a black finish, 2-pickup model Les Paul. The serial number is a six-digit beginning with the number -4- with no letters (which does correlate with the ‘66 serial numbers I researched, which is odd), and it does NOT have the 70’s neck volute. I will attach some quick pictures just to see if they can provide any details (without having to take anything apart) on what this monster is. It does sound AMAZING, better than any other LP I’ve played. A few things to note: the tuners have been clearly swapped out, and years back somebody added a couple of phase switches to it (yikes!), and I THINK that it has a replacement truss rod cover (it clearly says DELUXE, that’s new on me).
srsyxdhdpirv2f
zkh5wetz6g4x72
mr2mikjvrsril2
e6e2pdl3mi3ozj

moonweasel

So here’s the deal: my boss’s husband has an old Les Paul, and I’m looking to buy it off of them. Now they aren’t the type to get into specifics and details about their instruments, so all I was told when I first heard about it was that it was a “1966 Les Paul, in black”. While this is all fine and well, I’m fairly certain Les Pauls didn’t start production again until 1968. After getting my hands on the guitar and checking it out for myself, I’ve got suspicions that it may indeed be a 1960’s model, but that’s all I can figure out, so here’s the details I have so far: it is a black finish, 2-pickup model Les Paul. The serial number is a six-digit beginning with the number -4- with no letters (which does correlate with the ‘66 serial numbers I researched, which is odd), and it does NOT have the 70’s neck volute. I will attach some quick pictures just to see if they can provide any details (without having to take anything apart) on what this monster is. It does sound AMAZING, better than any other LP I’ve played. A few things to note: the tuners have been clearly swapped out, and years back somebody added a couple of phase switches to it (yikes!), and I THINK that it has a replacement truss rod cover (it clearly says DELUXE, that’s new on me).
srsyxdhdpirv2f
zkh5wetz6g4x72
mr2mikjvrsril2
e6e2pdl3mi3ozj

Hi Matt,

Try emailing the pictures to me, I will be happy to take a look. My address is my username @ hotmail.com

I'm curious what it is!

MattL0712

Done and DONE! I’m curious myself, not that it changes how it sounds or plays, but I’m just a stickler for that kind of info. Thanks!

moonweasel

Done and DONE! I’m curious myself, not that it changes how it sounds or plays, but I’m just a stickler for that kind of info. Thanks!

Hi Matt!

Pics arrived ok. Very cool guitar! It is definitely a real Gibson, but it has been reworked. Apologies if I repeat anything you already know. The headstock logo has been replaced/repaired. I see sanding on the back of the neck where the volute would be. My gut says it is a 70's Deluxe of some sort. It is a refin in black as you can see the grey auto primer exposed where one's arm would rest on the body. As a 4xx,xxx serial lines up with 1974-1975 according to online resources (I don't know that era very well), it would generally make sense to be from those years. The line/crack you see on the front of the body is very normal, it is over a seam in the maple. Because it is off center, it is definitely not a 1968 or early 69. I see open grain wood on the back of the headstock which implies the neck is mahogany, so it is pre-1976 or so when they went to maple.

I hope none of this disappoints you because at the right price, it is a keeper based on the way you are describing the tone. You can mod it or keep it as is since it is not original.

MattL0712

Well I surely appreciate all the info on it! That would appear to make it an early 1970’s Les Paul, which is still pretty neat to me! I’ll definitely have to do some more research on these types of subjects, but if that all checks out then I am surely thankful!

moonweasel

Well I surely appreciate all the info on it! That would appear to make it an early 1970’s Les Paul, which is still pretty neat to me! I’ll definitely have to do some more research on these types of subjects, but if that all checks out then I am surely thankful!

It's my pleasure Matt, have fun with it! Think of how much great music was written and recorded on that era of Gibson. :dude: