• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Stripped strap button screw woes

matei

Banned
Hi all,

I stripped the screw on one of those Dunlop original straplock strap buttons, it must've been made of cheese as it stripped very quickly - was in the position where I couldn't remove it or fasten it down any lower.

I took a Dremel and cut the end off, so I could remove the button, however when I tried to make a cut in the screw itself - it proved to be rather soft metal. It snapped/crumbled as soon as I tried to un-screw it.

It now protrudes about 5mm above the wood, if that. Any ideas how to remove this damn thing? It has really bit into the mahogany.

J.D.

If you have material above the wood, grab it with vise grips and ease it out.

matei

Banned
If you have material above the wood, grab it with vise grips and ease it out.

Thanks - will try that when I get home. There isn't a whole lot of screw left to grab, hopefully it is enough!

Toecutter

Put some masking tape around the hole to protect the finish when you use the vice grips!

Good luck.

matei

Banned
Result, thanks for the advice. Got the broken screw out and replaced it with a Schaller straplock one. Thanks!