• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

66 to 68 white SG Customs where are they ?

burstman59

I been looking for a long time on all the various sites Gbase, Reverb, Ebay, ect.. for a few yrs and noticed there are usually a few of the early 61 to 64 SG/LP white Customs but on the other hand I rarely see a late 65 to 68 White SG Customs with the full white pickguard like Gibson made for Jimi Hendrix and the late Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper also used. I See plenty of Standards and specials and jrs from this era but hardly ever see a white SG Custom. Occasionally I do see 68 and 69 SG Customs in SG Walnut brown on the mahogany but not so much in the White/Cream. Yes I realize the nut width is more narrow and probably not as desirable as the early 60s models but cool in their own right. So to those who would know do you think since this model was so expensive probably over 400.00 at the time did they not make that many or since they had other fish to fry such as the mid 60s Flying Vs and Firebirds and also in late 67 were probably gearing up and putting their attention on the restart of the Les Paul line coming up in another yr or so ? Im thinking Id like to play one live and see if I would like it. I'm one of a few that actually like the neck joint on the 66 to 68 SG line.

garywright

i'd love to own one as well ..there was a member here less than a year ago that got a clean one off ebay for 5k ..sadly, I missed out on that as the auction was kinda odd ..the seller was the original owners brother and didnt have tha guitar in hand etc ..I decided not to bid but this guy did and it turned out legit and in fully original condition...5k for one of these is low ..I hope at some point Gibson does a reissue on this model

chasenblues

I been looking for a long time on all the various sites Gbase, Reverb, Ebay, ect.. for a few yrs and noticed there are usually a few of the early 61 to 64 SG/LP white Customs but on the other hand I rarely see a late 65 to 68 White SG Customs with the full white pickguard like Gibson made for Jimi Hendrix and the late Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper also used. I See plenty of Standards and specials and jrs from this era but hardly ever see a white SG Custom. Occasionally I do see 68 and 69 SG Customs in SG Walnut brown on the mahogany but not so much in the White/Cream. Yes I realize the nut width is more narrow and probably not as desirable as the early 60s models but cool in their own right. So to those who would know do you think since this model was so expensive probably over 400.00 at the time did they not make that many or since they had other fish to fry such as the mid 60s Flying Vs and Firebirds and also in late 67 were probably gearing up and putting their attention on the restart of the Les Paul line coming up in another yr or so ? Im thinking Id like to play one live and see if I would like it. I'm one of a few that actually like the neck joint on the 66 to 68 SG line.

I don't know how accurate the totals are in this linked list..

http://www.guitarhq.com/shippin4.html

But going by those numbers Gibson didn't make/ship that many SG Customs(1,119) when compared to SG Standards(8,625).

marshall1987

Those white, late-1960s SG Customs are very nice guitars that sound great. However, for many guitarists, the narrow nut width of 1 9/16" makes them difficult to play.

I believe the lead guitar player in Alice Cooper played one. Terry Kath of Chicago played a walnut Custom, which were a little more common.

<iframe width="1280" height="568" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UVLUFl6WO6E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

robertberg

Hi! I am sure that you will be able to add something else on this issue. Thank you in advance!

Hiwatt Bob

i'd love to own one as well ..there was a member here less than a year ago that got a clean one off ebay for 5k ..sadly, I missed out on that as the auction was kinda odd ..the seller was the original owners brother and didnt have tha guitar in hand etc ..I decided not to bid but this guy did and it turned out legit and in fully original condition...5k for one of these is low ..I hope at some point Gibson does a reissue on this model

That was me. It’s a great guitar—and was a total score. I don’t mind the late ‘60’s nut width.

WKphsq5.jpg