• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Confused about newest models of Les Pauls

Guitardon

Hello everyone, I have been away from the forum for too long, things have changed. I have been looking at new Les Pauls and see that there are so many models. I see Les Paul standard, true historic and now a bunch with Brazilian boards as well as the lower end models. I thought they wouldn’t use Brazilian boards yet I see them on various sites. Are they still making true historics? Are the Brazilian boards on the TH’s, the standards or both. I thought the standards didn’t have long neck joints.

I hope someone can demystify what is what. I’m thinking of making changes in my gear since I am playing out more and don’t want to make an uneducated choice. Last of all does anyone know if Vic’s special run have Brazilian boards or not. One of the nicest bursts I have seen ever is one of his. It might be blood on the tracks but I’m not sure.

oh yea, does Murphy age any of the new Braz boards?

Black58

I'm so glad that I got my two R8s, back when Gibson used to just continuously make mistakes. :rofl

1jamman

Lots of LP's these days , for sure . I don't know about "Vic's " run of guitars .

Many you see are more a Special run / M2M type , ordered from dealers in small runs .

TM BRW LP's are made but in ,imo , very small numbers . Standard RI's, '56-'60 , I believe are all made with long neck tenons IIRC. It was the later LP models that originally didn't have the long neck joint that don't get them now ('68's ? I'm not sure).
I'd defer to those who know more about that then I do ,if they check in about this .

IIRC ,TH's builds are only Custom ordered now , if still available . Check with your Dealer or Gibson directly .

BRW usage is available , I believe for a limited time from Gibson . It's available now , If you want this on a New Gibson LP as factory original . Then it's what is . I've seen other Gibson guitars made with BRW in special runs (CS made 335's) ....(If I was in the states and could get the neck I want on it , I'd buy it) but again, in small dealer spec'd runs . All Hide glued too ....

The M2M program has been expanded this year to give buyers a lot more choice . You may consider looking into that and build a guitar has you'd like to have it made . I know these was a link to it somewhere that has all the options available now . If I locate it I'll post it for you . It may have been a PDF I saved . I do not recall , but I'll look .

Guitardon

Lots of LP's these days , for sure . I don't know about "Vic's " run of guitars .

Many you see are more a Special run / M2M type , ordered from dealers in small runs .

TM BRW LP's are made but in ,imo , very small numbers . Standard RI's, '56-'60 , I believe are all made with long neck tenons IIRC. It was the later LP models that originally didn't have the long neck joint that don't get them now ('68's ? I'm not sure).
I'd defer to those who know more about that then I do ,if they check in about this .

IIRC ,TH's builds are only Custom ordered now , if still available . Check with your Dealer or Gibson directly .

BRW usage is available , I believe for a limited time from Gibson . It's available now , If you want this on a New Gibson LP as factory original . Then it's what is . I've seen other Gibson guitars made with BRW in special runs (CS made 335's) ....(If I was in the states and could get the neck I want on it , I'd buy it) but again, in small dealer spec'd runs . All Hide glued too ....

The M2M program has been expanded this year to give buyers a lot more choice . You may consider looking into that and build a guitar has you'd like to have it made . I know these was a link to it somewhere that has all the options available now . If I locate it I'll post it for you . It may have been a PDF I saved . I do not recall , but I'll look .

Thanks for the information. It sure does sound as confusing as I thought. I guess if I buy something I will have to really trust the dealer. It sounds easy to be fooled, although I have seen listings of the Braz boards and noticed that Gibson states Braz in the COA.

D Anthony

Brazilian is not stock on Historic's or True Histoiric's. From what I've seen it's only been featured on special runs, custom ordered by dealers (I've seen them at Wildwood and CME, I'm sure there's more). Basically they're positioned as a Historics with Brazilian, often with a specific vintage correct finish. You'll be paying an additional $3K or more however that aspect should hold it's value at least as much as any other element.