• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Throbaks in my '58

jalevinemd

Just got this set of beautifully aged Throbak double creams from forum member EdA. Put them in my '58 Historic. Played my first gig with them last night and they sounded amazing! For me, there's nothing quite as good looking as a faded LP and exposed DW's. :peace2

Big Al

I think Jon makes the most authentic PAFs available. Ain't no bout adout it.:salude

stevelazo

Great looking pickups! Hey man just a side note, I also top wrap my strings and I used to do it the same way as you. I stole a play out of Joe B's book which works much better. The next time you change your strings, before you throw away the old one's remove the little steel ball off each string, and before you put the string through the stop tail put that ball on the string so it looks like it has 2 balls. This helps a lot and it gets rid of those sharp edges. Should look like the picture below.

maxresdefault.jpg

jalevinemd

Beautiful guitar!!! :yah More details?

It's a 2018 Historic '58 from one of the CME runs. Weighs in at just over 8 lbs. Turn it slightly and the flame really pops. The best feeling, looking and sounding of the 6 Historic LP's I've owned. The Throbaks are a MT-102B and an ER-Custom. :peace2

El Gringo

It's a 2018 Historic '58 from one of the CME runs. Weighs in at just over 8 lbs. Turn it slightly and the flame really pops. The best feeling, looking and sounding of the 6 Historic LP's I've owned. The Throbaks are a MT-102B and an ER-Custom. :peace2
So you have one of each of the 2 models from ThroBak ?

El Gringo

I made up my mind and I will be getting another set of ThroBak SLE-101 Plus for my Les Paul Custom and once and for all finally to solve this tone madness with my first ever childhood electric .I wish I had frequent flyer miles on her as she has traveled extensively in her 40 + year lifetime . My sister said to me the other day "don't you feel sorry for her always sending her out for work" ? I replied no I don't because she has been through the wars and is still standing tall and proud (Except for her tone ) Out of all 12 of my guitars (4 Les Paul's, Firebird V, Korina, Flying V, 3 Fender Strats , 2 Fender Teles and my Martin D-41 (which never gets played because I bought her in June of 1993 during my short lived Unplugged phase ) My Les Paul Custom is the one I have sunk the most money into over the years trying to get her right. It is also not fair that I judge her by the Gibson Custom Shop standards ,so anything short of that is not working (on the MTV)

Professortwang

I love them as well. My favorites are the 101 pickups. Tried the PG and DT pickups. The 101s are my favorite by far. My first and favorite set has the NOS wire.

LemonFade

Great looking pickups! Hey man just a side note, I also top wrap my strings and I used to do it the same way as you. I stole a play out of Joe B's book which works much better. The next time you change your strings, before you throw away the old one's remove the little steel ball off each string, and before you put the string through the stop tail put that ball on the string so it looks like it has 2 balls. This helps a lot and it gets rid of those sharp edges. Should look like the picture below.

View attachment 8351
What stop tail is this?

LemonFade

Just got this set of beautifully aged Throbak double creams from forum member EdA. Put them in my '58 Historic. Played my first gig with them last night and they sounded amazing! For me, there's nothing quite as good looking as a faded LP and exposed DW's. :peace2

Is this the stock aluminum stop tail?

Fried okra

Love it. And Jon is the best in the biz. That's why I chose him to work with to clone the Kossoff PAFs. :yah

MWR

If they sound as great as they look...you got a winner! :salude

sws1

Been dying to try some throbaks, but I just haven't heard a demo from which my ears can get a clear picture of what they sound like. Maybe I'll find someone to let me check out their guitar. Or maybe they're will be some in Dallas/Ft Wroth.

El Gringo

Been dying to try some throbaks, but I just haven't heard a demo from which my ears can get a clear picture of what they sound like. Maybe I'll find someone to let me check out their guitar. Or maybe they're will be some in Dallas/Ft Wroth.
ThroBak pickups are to die for . Here is how I hear them . I love Gibson Custombuckers , now with ThroBak Pickups they take it to the next level up because they have more detail and nuance in the tone and are so much more articulate . I know people think that is just using a lot of descriptive words but they really do take it to the next level up and I think it has a lot to do with how they are wound on Gibson K-Zoo old machines using the same wire and sourcing the magnets from the same supplier here in the US where others are using magnets from overseas ,ditto for the covers which come from close by to the K-Zoo plant . All the little details all add up ,yes they do cost a bit more but I will testify under oath you will be blown away (I sound just like a shill ) but I am going to have another set wound for me (SLE-101 Plus ) ThroBak website does have sound demos of the pickups also .