• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Your Most Regrettable Amp Sale

cincyguitar

I still regret not keeping my 73 Marshall Super Lead.....even if it did blow lots of speakers....if I only had a power attennuator back them in 73...:dude:

TM1

I sold a `62 brown Princeton to a fellow bandmate in 1978. It was my second amp that I bought in 1967..
A `63 Vox AC15 (1x12). (also had a `65 Vox AC50 & AC100)
`64 Fender blond bassman w/black control panel, white knobs 6CG3 circuit.
1959 tweed Bassman
1971 small box Marshall #1986

deytookerjaabs

I've had "fancier" stuff come and go but for tonez a '73 Pro Reverb I had was just lovely. I got it for peanuts and when I sold it before moving south I figured they'd all sound like that. Two Pro Reverbs bought/sold after that and I haven't had one since.

For aesthetics I wish I still had a red on black Prosonic, fantastic little amp with a unique look.

toxpert

Sale of my most “regrettable amp”.... was my late-60s Fender Twin Reverb with twin D-120F JBLs.
It has to be the heaviest cabinet amp I ever owned. The little strap handle on top made it feel like you crushed all the tendons in your fingers every time you picked it up.
Felt like it pulled my arm out of shoulder joint with each lift.
Nobody I played with ever offered to carry my amp. NOBODY!!!

When you turned that bad boy on...there was no breakup. Just loud.
VERY LOUD. EAR SPLITTING CLEAN LOUD.

Sold that regrettable purchase for a motorcycle while in grad school....never felt a twinge of seller’s remorse.

Last edited:

J.D.

I had an early '70s metal panel 100w Marshall with 6550s. Ridiculously loud and tight sounding, even with the previoys owner's master volume mod. Could never get a good sound out of it. Sold it to a local guitar player dirt cheap (back when pointy headstock guitars and rack stuff was hot and old tube amps weren't). Part of the deal terms was that I had to deliver it to the band's practice spot to verify it worked and all. Well this guy had what I think I recall was some sort of Floyd'd Strat with some kind of really hot distortion pickup. Plugged this old amp into his cabinet and cranked it up really good. Holy Jesus like a choir of angels. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Needless to say he was quite happy and paid me on the spot, although I was hoping he'd change his mind and I'd leave with it.

Other amp that sounded ridiculously good was an early EVH Peavey 1/2 stack. I retubed it with new SED =C= 6L6GCs and installed a mod to allow bias adjustment (stock the bias is not adjustable and they are biased very cold). To this day it is without question the best sounding amp I've ever played through (go ahead and laugh), but I ultimately sold it because it was just too big and loud to be practical.

jeffcooper

I had a full silver jubilee 100wt Stack. Ive sold dozens of amps, and that one still hurts. I also had a 60's Champ that I got for $50...sold it later. Tsk.Tsk.

Now Id never sell my Marshalls (JCM900 1x12 with 1912 1x12 cab - a baby stack) and my rack rig (JMP-1/9200 power amp with EL34's) and all the trimmings...plus a miriad of microstacks, 12wt combos, etc.

Had a bunch of Boogies...dont miss those much, though Id sell my soul for one of the new Petrucci models

With all the marshalks, I have a Crate VC-30 that is awesome, but sits...next to my Vox. Never use 'em.

There is a lot to be said for a Les Paul, a strat or tele...and a cord, and a Marshall.

barman

A WEM ER100 head and its matching Super Starfinder cabinet from 1968, loaded with 4 Fane speakers.
The stack was bought for around $500 in 1998, and sold for double that 4 years later. Now the cab alone is worth $1500 for a low estimate. This is what David Gilmour uses and has always used.
I was young, stupid, but also living in a apartment and that rig was overkill.

Bruce R

Two, actually...

My '57 tweed Deluxe

My Marshall JTM45 or 1987 head (it's been so long that I can't remember which model it was)

Monroe

Two white metal panel 1987 heads during my first divorce.

joeh77

I have two amps that I think about all the time that I sold/traded to upgrade. They are not well know vintage pieces, really they're kind of in the "sleeper" category.

I had an early '80's Music Man 112 RD-50 that is the first amp I ever purchased. All because of Clapton's "Backless" album back cover, dealer recommendation, and the size of my wallet as a working college student at the time.

In the early '90s I traded the Music Man in for a Marshall JTM 30 because I wanted the "Marshall Tone". This was an excellent amp; great cleans, and you could get the crunch on the 2nd channel.

Sold the JTM 30 to fund a Dr. Z MAZ 18, which I still have, because I wanted a handmade amp.

Joe

deanriffs

Yeah, I don't plan on getting rid of my '62 Deluxe. I'm sure I'd regret it. It has a great chewy grind especially with my walnut '72 335.

What's the one amp that you sold and now you are really kicking yourself in the ass?

For me is was a '62 Brown Deluxe and a matching Reverb unit that I sold to a friend here on the Forum. I know it's in great hands now and he uses it from time to time recording, it's just the amp that had the goods. Just the right amount of grit, spark and a nasty bite when needed. My first introduction to vintage gear happened another life ago when a friend of mine handed me a '57 LP Jr into his brown Deluxe at a blues jam one night. I'll never forget it. With in a couple of months, I owned a '55 Jr, that brown Deluxe and my vintage addiction kicked in! It was a part of my thinning a few years back. I moved to playing a '65 VR, but was never the same. Good, but not the same. Maybe someday I'll run upon another, till then it will be missed!
/////
62FenderDeluxe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

sonar

I’ve never regretted selling an amp (yet) but I’ve bought a few I’ve regretted. :dang

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
1972 Hiwatt Custom 50 Head and matching cab.

MeHereNow

A 1979 Marshall jmp MKII 50 watt 2x12 combo i named Jimpy.
Fully stock except for recap and tubes offcourse, and looked almost unused.
Still remember the serial: 06664L, so it was partly evil in numbers and fully evil sounding.
Last time i saw and heard it it was "facelifted" with 2 channel mod and post phase inverter master volume, an added active fx loop and numerous switches doing .. well switching added resistor/cap stuff..

Last edited:

pjisaacs

My 50watt Marshall Jubilee stack bought new with my first credit card in 1987/8 (can't recall exactly)

Sold about ten years later as it was huge and so, so loud (I remember hearing neighbours three doors down arguing about the noise blaming each other) - but man what a sound!

Dave P

I bought this new back in the 90's. I owned it for a while and sold it to a friend over 20 years ago. I always regretted selling it :##and ended up buying another one. But yesterday my friend asked if I wanted it back. I did some trading with him and now it's mine again! :dude:
num25a2.jpg

LaPanthere

In my case it wasn't the fact of the amp I sold but mine was stolen some years ago after 30 years of faithful services, and extremely difficult to find (especially here in Europe). The Peavey Roadmaster 160W All-Tube I bought new in 1982.

Midnight Blues

My early '70s Super Lead 100W stack which looked like this:

h29dyFK.jpg

Bought it in the mid '70s, got married in the mid '80s, lost my job shortly thereafter and regrettably sold it (I think for $800.00?) and have kicked myself ever since.

Nick-O

1977 Mesa Boogie Mk IIb....custom built with a 15 EV. I still have the typed out instructions stashed away. It was way too loud, but it was exactly what I wanted. I finally sold to a guy who plays bass with us now and again in 2015....but it was a long and happy relationship.

F08ZZJ3.jpg

I miss this Sebago a little too....

WHsgp6J.jpg