• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need help identifying this mistery pickup (shaw? T-Top? Bastard?)

Lasse Lammert

Hello everybody...
I've just purchased this zebra T-Top in pristine condition...there's 2-3 things that make me rather curious though.
only one bobbin has the T on it, it has short legs (all my other t-tops have long legs) and the tape around it doesn't look like the tape around my other t-buckers.
there also seems to be some layer of copper/schield foil around the bobbins under that black tape (that might have been added later though, which would also explain the black elec tape).
the DC Resistance reads the correct 7.48kΩ.
The seller claims it came out of his 1978 Les Paul (which he also bought used though, so noone knows if the pickup actually came stock with that LP).
I then took the tape off to check magnet, spacers etc...
There's a short but really thick magnet and another smaller and even slightly shorter one right next to it, two plastic spacers and black and white leads.
I'm really quite confused what kind of pickup this is to be honest.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Lasse

T-Top1.JPG
T-Top2.JPG
T-Top3.JPG
T-Top4.JPG
T-Top5.JPG
T-Top6.JPG

zombiwoof

I am not an expert on T-Tops, but the defining feature is supposed to be the "T" on the bobbins, right?. I don't see that here.
Al

TM1

The black bobbin is either a pre T-Top or from post ‘74. Gibson stamped the bottoms with Pat.# and late 70’s they started trying to make them look like earlier PAF’s as that was what the public wanted... all of a sudden they had DiMarrzio & Seymour going after their pickup business. Before it had been all their own.

Capt Brad

attachment.php

Looks like late 70s early 80s Shaw era. Note the short legs and the 12 hole base plate.
Cant say I ever seen one with copper tape? This is a Shaw pup.

Last edited: