• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What 335 models were available in 2011?

StSpider

I'm negotiating for a guitar thas is described as a "Custom Shop 335 from 2011 with a headstock repair". It has factory Grovers, stamped serial number and "made in USA" on the back of the headstock. It's a tobacco burst with a pattern typically seen on older epi Sheratons, aka the black follows the outline of the body and does not have the classic "tear" shape.

7481237.jpg

It is definitely NOT a historic model. Is it really Custom Shop?

I can't even tell if it has a nashville or abr bridge TBH, I'll definitely ask for better pics (expecially of the repair).

It's currently priced at 1350 euros, but since I can't figure out what this guitar exactly is I can't even tell if it's priced right or not.

THanks for your help.

wmachine

There are a lot of Memphis ES model that are called "Custom Shop" that in all reality are not CS. This was thanks to Gibson muddying the waters with their own descriptions of their models. When asked to identify these models, Gibson says they are a "Custom Shop Series". But it is just a name, in that they are produced in Memphis, not the Custom Shop in Nashville.
I know that due in some part to that, some people (individuals and even dealers) refer to other regular Memphis ES models as Custom or Custom Shop.
Part of all this most likely is due to the fact that the Memphis plant was basically started with Custom Shop employees. My guess is that Gibson marketing was trying to capitalize on that and threw in the Custom Shop name arbitrarily.
Generally speaking, Memphis quality has been outstanding the last few years, specifically as far back as 2013?
I don't know where "your" 2011 fits into the picture.
There are true Custom Shop ES models. Made in the Custom Shop in Nashville. But even those start in Memphis because that is the only place the have the equipment to make the ES bodies. The parts are then sent to Nashville for finishing.
A true Custom Shop will have a CS serial number, as far as I know.
Don't know if that helps much. I would not be swayed by any "Custom" reference.

Personally, I would steer clear of headstock repair. Sure, it may be fine, but to me that is too much $$ to take a chance on it.

c_wester

That price is killer! And alot of people say a headstock break improves the tone! Alot of people!

I have a Memphis 2010 Es335.
And it's just a killer guitar probably the best I have tried or played.

mdubya

That model is the Dot Reissue. Which is confusing. It is the standard USA line, Memphis made. It is not a Historic Reissue and not Custom Shop. They are nice guitars, though.

fakejake

Nice guitar, I had one like that years ago. But imo, not worth that kind of money with the headstock repair. Try to negotiate at least another 200 off...

Keefoman

Is the COA like this from my 2013 Memphis ES-335 Dot?

44064469834_dfbd0b55ba_b.jpg

I can see the confusion as mine came with this warranty / checklist card:

44734237112_9f285cc415_b.jpg

Trans-Am

So what do we say to the Memphis made ES 335 with a COA in the case included?:biggrin:

I always thought that only the Custom Shop gets the COA etc.:hmm

johnreardon

Why not just ask those that made it?

They will need to see pics, including the serial number.

wmachine

So what do we say to the Memphis made ES 335 with a COA in the case included?:biggrin:

I always thought that only the Custom Shop gets the COA etc.:hmm

All Memphis ES models come with a COA. That's what we say.