• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is it a Yamano LP Studio?

UnclePete

I recently bought a 1998 Gibson LP Studio (warranty card with it). It is a deep emerald green and in good condition (neck and electronics fantastic, a few minor dings and scratches). Picture attached (pls excuse the finger prints on finish)
I understand (from forums such as these) that in '98 Gibson did a run of the Gem Series which has special finishes. They had some left over paint and used the paint on some LP Studios, and that these Studios are highly sought after due to their rare finish.
I also read that Yamano hand selected guitars that had quality finishes for sale in the Japanese market.
Now, the warranty card (that came with the guitar) is written in Japanese and I asked a friend of mine to translate it. He said it says 'Yamano' company is written on it.
Given all this, what do yáll think the likelihood is that it is a Yamano selected guitar? And if it is, what impact would that have on the price?

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 36

Big Al

Hey, Unk! Dot neck 98 Studios are uncommon. I have only seen the crown inlays for 98's. IIRC some fellas posted ebony dot necks from early 90's. Yamano is an importer for Japan. I doubt the Studio was hand selected, more likely it was a request, but regardless, I doubt it equals a premium price.

In my experience the Yamano thing is topical but not a price boost. I have a documented hand selected Yamano spec R9 and have sold another and the guitar sets the price, not the importer. If there are those seeking this variation version of the Studio, finding one might net a good price. AISI, it should sell for the going rate for a late 90's Studio in similar condition. The case should bump the price accordingly.