The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: R4 Florian Jaeger

It is looking great, can't wait to see it finished.

Any new pics? Would love to see how this one turned out in the end, including shots of the entire guitar!

Getting very close to the end of the project now. Excited to finally get my hands on my beloved R4. Florian has been great, such a nice guy to work with. Here are a few teaser shots.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar

That looks fantastic. Similar to my '55 on the cracking.

Florian seems to know how to get the right Goldtop look, which I understand is difficult
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

That guitar looks stunning! The gold finish looks so authentic.

And after following this thread, I am seriously considering sending my 2016 Gibson R7 to a good paint shop for a refinish. I am not fond of the of the recent Gibson gold top paint formulation at all. Gibson changed from using the correct bronze powder to tiny gold mica chips dissolved in lacquer.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Kim @ Historic Makeovers can nail it.

Will Florian do any greening to the finish?

Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    Will Florian do any greening to the finish?
    I would think that Florian can nail it as well. Just email him he will get right back to you. He's so easy to work with and is a stickler for doing things the way they should be done. Also he uses the exact powder from the original supplier to Gibson. He's so good. I'm dying to get my R4 back. It's ready to go. I can give this thread a one to one comparison with an R0 Murphy aged Les Paul. Can't wait.
    Last edited by BlueFin; 11-12-18 at 11:59 AM.

Behold! Goldfinger! The guitar I love so much I bought it twice!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]

and the rest...... Can't recommend Florian enough. Just take a good look at the paint. It's just effing amazing.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by BlueFin; 11-12-18 at 12:02 PM.

Wow.....simply stunning Goldtop makeover! I'd like the first right of refusal....

For better playability, you may wish to take a look at the string spacing at the bridge. They aren't spaced evenly.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    Wow.....simply stunning Goldtop makeover! I'd like the first right of refusal....

For better playability, you may wish to take a look at the string spacing at the bridge. They aren't spaced evenly.
    how do you change that with this kind of bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    how do you change that with this kind of bridge?
    On my 1958 LP Junior I get the string spacing right by loosening the strings and manipulating the ball ends around in the holes until the strings line up properly. You just have to play around with the ball ends until the strings are evenly spaced. It's not difficult to achieve the proper string spacing.

Alternatively, there are new after-market stop-tailpiece bridges that are intonated and align the strings better than the old style.

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Well spotted. I'll make some minor adjustments when I actually get my hands on it.

On my 1958 LP Junior I get the string spacing right by loosening the strings and manipulating the ball ends around in the holes until the strings line up properly. You just have to play around with the ball ends until the strings are evenly spaced. It's not difficult to achieve the proper string spacing.

Alternatively, there are new after-market stop-tailpiece bridges that are intonated and align the strings better than the old style.
    Yeah, I've had to do that in the past. I changed out the bridge on my Les Paul Jr. with a compensator style but I'm not going to touch this one. I found it stays in tune nicely once the strings are where I want them. I play with a very light style so I usually don't have too much hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    Yeah, I've had to do that in the past. I changed out the bridge on my Les Paul Jr. with a compensator style but I'm not going to touch this one. I found it stays in tune nicely once the strings are where I want them. I play with a very light style so I usually don't have too much hassle.
    It also helps to install a second, loose ball end to new strings when you change them.

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Looks great!!

Thanks to all following the thread and all the kind words. I've been away for a bit and will only just take delivery of my R4 today. I'll post some pics when it arrives. Thanks again to Florian.

Great! Let us know how it feels and plays if posssible! Maybe a short video demo?
    Enjoy your second honeymoon with that pretty guitar!

Wow! That turned out NOYCE!

It looks horrible and it's all wrong.

Please send it to me so I may evaluate if an intervention is needed...

Send it NOW!

Man it's looking gorgeous! Every time I see one of these threads it makes me dream about sending in my R4 for a makeover...but I'm too cheap at the end of the day

One time the whole wrap tail was off to the side just a couple of mm's, after a string change. It freaked me out because all of a sudden all the strings were misaligned off the pole pieces. But I just loosened the strings and pushed the whole bridge over on the studs and it realigned to where it was supposed to be with perfect string onto pole piece alignment, so just to throw that out there too!

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRollShakeUp View Post
    Man it's looking gorgeous! Every time I see one of these threads it makes me dream about sending in my R4 for a makeover...but I'm too cheap at the end of the day
    Then pack it up and ship it out at the start of the day...before that "cheap" feeling starts to set in!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by pinefd View Post
    Then pack it up and ship it out at the start of the day...before that "cheap" feeling starts to set in!

Frank
    Haha! Love it...you may have a good practical point there though..this could be revolutionary for my guitar collection(!!)..possibly bad for my marriage

Absolutely love it! I’d love a Florian one day. And it came out looking like a real 54 in ‘almost’ mint condition, which is fantastic.

you mentioned intonation before, have you considered a mojo axe replacement? It balances out the top and bottom intonation areas more specifically and makes a massive difference. I use one on my 54 and it makes a world of difference, literally night and day. To the untrained eye it looks in place but you can see close up the pointy parts

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patek View Post
    Absolutely love it! Iíd love a Florian one day. And it came out looking like a real 54 in Ďalmostí mint condition, which is fantastic.

you mentioned intonation before, have you considered a mojo axe replacement? It balances out the top and bottom intonation areas more specifically and makes a massive difference. I use one on my 54 and it makes a world of difference, literally night and day. To the untrained eye it looks in place but you can see close up the pointy parts

I had a JR I put one on. worked great. looked great.

Hi BlueFin,

Have you received your guitar?
    What are your impression and feelings?

Cheers!

Wow !

Quote Originally Posted by Cav View Post
    Hi BlueFin,

Have you received your guitar?
    What are your impression and feelings?

Cheers!
    Well Iíve had my R4 back for some time now and the verdict isÖÖ I love it more every time I pick it up. Firstly, it just looks great. The work Florian did is perfect. Subtle, not over the top. The light aging just looks like natural wear. Canít say enough about the cosmetics. The other thing is the hand shaping of the neck. I just love the feel of the neck. Florian somehow made it feel like it was worn in by using it night after night for 40 years. No hard edges just worn smooth rounded surfaces that just sit in your hand. The carve is also something very noticeable. Just looks old, looks right. You can really see and feel the curve on the top. Itís beautiful.
    Being involved in the process makes it feel like I have something special. Itís just the way I wanted it. Finish, dark back, aging, etc. Iíve played this guitar literally every day since I got it back. I never get ear fatigue from this guitar. I play in the morning before I open my shop and I play in the evening after I close, itís really a lively guitar. Donít know if itís the hide clue or the finish but it sounds so much warmer and well, lively. I love P90ís, and these sound great, plus Iíve gone up to 11ís together the combination is pure magic. Honestly, Iíve sold a few guitars since getting this back, just donít play them. This is a keeper.
    Thanks, Florian

Les Paul Forum Member

IMHO of all the artificially aged guitars I've seen, this gentleman's process of aging the face of the headstock looks far, far superior than any of the other attempts I've seen, Congrats, it's gorgeous, top care is also very, very impressive

Les Paul Forum Member

sorry I meant "top carve." I'm not to sure about the sides of the truss rod cover though, they look a little "ragged?" for lack of a better descriptive term ..

Bluefin I'm a fat neck kinda guy and want to know what the neck readings(1st and 12th fret) and profile is like for your beauty.
    Liked the vid that Florian did.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234