• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R4 Florian Jaeger

RocknRollShakeUp

Man it's looking gorgeous! Every time I see one of these threads it makes me dream about sending in my R4 for a makeover...but I'm too cheap at the end of the day :laugh2:

RocknRollShakeUp

On my 1958 LP Junior I get the string spacing right by loosening the strings and manipulating the ball ends around in the holes until the strings line up properly. You just have to play around with the ball ends until the strings are evenly spaced. It's not difficult to achieve the proper string spacing.

Alternatively, there are new after-market stop-tailpiece bridges that are intonated and align the strings better than the old style.

One time the whole wrap tail was off to the side just a couple of mm's, after a string change. It freaked me out because all of a sudden all the strings were misaligned off the pole pieces. But I just loosened the strings and pushed the whole bridge over on the studs and it realigned to where it was supposed to be with perfect string onto pole piece alignment, so just to throw that out there too!

pinefd

Man it's looking gorgeous! Every time I see one of these threads it makes me dream about sending in my R4 for a makeover...but I'm too cheap at the end of the day :laugh2:

Then pack it up and ship it out at the start of the day...before that "cheap" feeling starts to set in! :peace2

Frank

RocknRollShakeUp

Then pack it up and ship it out at the start of the day...before that "cheap" feeling starts to set in! :peace2

Frank

Haha! Love it...you may have a good practical point there though..this could be revolutionary for my guitar collection(!!)..possibly bad for my marriage :hee

Patek

Absolutely love it! I’d love a Florian one day. And it came out looking like a real 54 in ‘almost’ mint condition, which is fantastic.

you mentioned intonation before, have you considered a mojo axe replacement? It balances out the top and bottom intonation areas more specifically and makes a massive difference. I use one on my 54 and it makes a world of difference, literally night and day. To the untrained eye it looks in place but you can see close up the pointy parts

0694209-B-88-D9-4-F57-A58-E-76-B70-EB7-F846.jpg

82940-D54-7-EF0-4495-90-F1-EBB991135-F29.jpg

Pellman73

Absolutely love it! I’d love a Florian one day. And it came out looking like a real 54 in ‘almost’ mint condition, which is fantastic.

you mentioned intonation before, have you considered a mojo axe replacement? It balances out the top and bottom intonation areas more specifically and makes a massive difference. I use one on my 54 and it makes a world of difference, literally night and day. To the untrained eye it looks in place but you can see close up the pointy parts

0694209-B-88-D9-4-F57-A58-E-76-B70-EB7-F846.jpg

82940-D54-7-EF0-4495-90-F1-EBB991135-F29.jpg

I had a JR I put one on. worked great. looked great.

Cav

Hi BlueFin,

Have you received your guitar?
What are your impression and feelings?

Cheers!

BlueFin

Hi BlueFin,

Have you received your guitar?
What are your impression and feelings?

Cheers!

Well I’ve had my R4 back for some time now and the verdict is…… I love it more every time I pick it up. Firstly, it just looks great. The work Florian did is perfect. Subtle, not over the top. The light aging just looks like natural wear. Can’t say enough about the cosmetics. The other thing is the hand shaping of the neck. I just love the feel of the neck. Florian somehow made it feel like it was worn in by using it night after night for 40 years. No hard edges just worn smooth rounded surfaces that just sit in your hand. The carve is also something very noticeable. Just looks old, looks right. You can really see and feel the curve on the top. It’s beautiful.
Being involved in the process makes it feel like I have something special. It’s just the way I wanted it. Finish, dark back, aging, etc. I’ve played this guitar literally every day since I got it back. I never get ear fatigue from this guitar. I play in the morning before I open my shop and I play in the evening after I close, it’s really a lively guitar. Don’t know if it’s the hide clue or the finish but it sounds so much warmer and well, lively. I love P90’s, and these sound great, plus I’ve gone up to 11’s together the combination is pure magic. Honestly, I’ve sold a few guitars since getting this back, just don’t play them. This is a keeper.
Thanks, Florian

Arnold M.

IMHO of all the artificially aged guitars I've seen, this gentleman's process of aging the face of the headstock looks far, far superior than any of the other attempts I've seen, Congrats, it's gorgeous, top care is also very, very impressive

Arnold M.

sorry I meant "top carve." I'm not to sure about the sides of the truss rod cover though, they look a little "ragged?" for lack of a better descriptive term ..

goldtop0

Bluefin I'm a fat neck kinda guy and want to know what the neck readings(1st and 12th fret) and profile is like for your beauty.
Liked the vid that Florian did.