• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R4 Florian Jaeger

fakejake

Any new pics? Would love to see how this one turned out in the end, including shots of the entire guitar! :salude

BlueFin

Getting very close to the end of the project now. Excited to finally get my hands on my beloved R4. Florian has been great, such a nice guy to work with. Here are a few teaser shots.
IMG_0575.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0574.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0573.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

thin sissy

That looks fantastic. Similar to my '55 on the cracking.

Florian seems to know how to get the right Goldtop look, which I understand is difficult :hmm

marshall1987

That guitar looks stunning! The gold finish looks so authentic. :dude:

And after following this thread, I am seriously considering sending my 2016 Gibson R7 to a good paint shop for a refinish. I am not fond of the of the recent Gibson gold top paint formulation at all. Gibson changed from using the correct bronze powder to tiny gold mica chips dissolved in lacquer.

BlueFin

Will Florian do any greening to the finish?
I would think that Florian can nail it as well. Just email him he will get right back to you. He's so easy to work with and is a stickler for doing things the way they should be done. Also he uses the exact powder from the original supplier to Gibson. He's so good. I'm dying to get my R4 back. It's ready to go. I can give this thread a one to one comparison with an R0 Murphy aged Les Paul. Can't wait.

Last edited:

BlueFin

Behold! Goldfinger! The guitar I love so much I bought it twice!
IMG_0598.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0599.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0600.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0601.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0602.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0603.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0604.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0605.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0607.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0608.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BlueFin

and the rest...... Can't recommend Florian enough. Just take a good look at the paint. It's just effing amazing.
IMG_0623.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0620.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0619.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0618.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0617.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0616.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0615.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0611.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0610.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0609.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

marshall1987

Wow.....simply stunning Goldtop makeover! I'd like the first right of refusal....:peace2:peace2

For better playability, you may wish to take a look at the string spacing at the bridge. They aren't spaced evenly. :dude:

Pellman73

Wow.....simply stunning Goldtop makeover! I'd like the first right of refusal....:peace2:peace2

For better playability, you may wish to take a look at the string spacing at the bridge. They aren't spaced evenly. :dude:

how do you change that with this kind of bridge?

marshall1987

how do you change that with this kind of bridge?

On my 1958 LP Junior I get the string spacing right by loosening the strings and manipulating the ball ends around in the holes until the strings line up properly. You just have to play around with the ball ends until the strings are evenly spaced. It's not difficult to achieve the proper string spacing.

Alternatively, there are new after-market stop-tailpiece bridges that are intonated and align the strings better than the old style.

BlueFin

Well spotted. I'll make some minor adjustments when I actually get my hands on it.

BlueFin

On my 1958 LP Junior I get the string spacing right by loosening the strings and manipulating the ball ends around in the holes until the strings line up properly. You just have to play around with the ball ends until the strings are evenly spaced. It's not difficult to achieve the proper string spacing.

Alternatively, there are new after-market stop-tailpiece bridges that are intonated and align the strings better than the old style.

Yeah, I've had to do that in the past. I changed out the bridge on my Les Paul Jr. with a compensator style but I'm not going to touch this one. I found it stays in tune nicely once the strings are where I want them. I play with a very light style so I usually don't have too much hassle.

marshall1987

Yeah, I've had to do that in the past. I changed out the bridge on my Les Paul Jr. with a compensator style but I'm not going to touch this one. I found it stays in tune nicely once the strings are where I want them. I play with a very light style so I usually don't have too much hassle.

It also helps to install a second, loose ball end to new strings when you change them.

BlueFin

Thanks to all following the thread and all the kind words. I've been away for a bit and will only just take delivery of my R4 today. I'll post some pics when it arrives. Thanks again to Florian.

fakejake

Great! Let us know how it feels and plays if posssible! Maybe a short video demo?
Enjoy your second honeymoon with that pretty guitar!

renderit

Wow! That turned out NOYCE!

It looks horrible and it's all wrong.

Please send it to me so I may evaluate if an intervention is needed...

Send it NOW!