• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R4 Florian Jaeger

El Gringo

Florian is a Master , I am always impressed with his immense skills

J.D.

IMG_9571_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is a good picture. IMHO it's this "waist" area carve where the Historics are really way off.

RocknRollShakeUp

what is featherweight spec?

just a light sub 8lb or chambered?

Non-chambered, generally speaking in the 7.8-8.1 lb range, give or take a few oz. The guitars also have slightly underwound Gibson P90s or Custombuckers, I think using AIII magnets. My R4 is 7.86lbs and I also have an R7 that is 7.98lbs...well, a little bit lighter since I took those heavy selector switch metal medallion covers off :D

RocknRollShakeUp

Not a Featherlite. Log for a neck. 2014 R4!

36311007455_7b6cf4dedf_k.jpg

Awesome find! My R4 neck is .94/1.00 and the R7 .93/1.00 so nice and fat. The R7 has more shoulders and it feels bigger than the R4 neck which is perfection for me..I wonder how it would stack up against Florian’s template?! It does need a hair more dishing along the distal bouts, away from the neck and beyond the bridge though...my fear is that I would get one done and it would spoil me to the other, and Id have to get the other done too...I may have to stop looking at these threads :)

Patek

My late 53 coming in at 8.1 1/2 lb

The neck is a D shape chunky monkey that’s for sure, but it works wonderfully. even my friends who are basically 100% Ibanez razor thin neck players love the neck on this thing. It feels right and the meat lets you dig in and in addition to the way the old ones were constructed with glues that set like glass, it makes the whole guitar really feel like 1 solid piece. You can feel it resonating in your tummy and your hands, playing it unplugged. If I can get the appropriate measuring tools I’ll take the measurements

4_E1085_C1_2_C06_4665_891_E_910_C41_AF017_E.jpg

On my bucket list is still to get a really nice lightweight R9 with just the right authentic looking streaky flame top example and hand it to Florian for the full works. Not so easy to find in the UK. Enjoying this thread however and would love to see how he manages to do the greening and the like.

RocknRollShakeUp

My late 53 coming in at 8.1 1/2 lb

The neck is a D shape chunky monkey that’s for sure, but it works wonderfully. even my friends who are basically 100% Ibanez razor thin neck players love the neck on this thing. It feels right and the meat lets you dig in and in addition to the way the old ones were constructed with glues that set like glass, it makes the whole guitar really feel like 1 solid piece. You can feel it resonating in your tummy and your hands, playing it unplugged. If I can get the appropriate measuring tools I’ll take the measurements

4_E1085_C1_2_C06_4665_891_E_910_C41_AF017_E.jpg

On my bucket list is still to get a really nice lightweight R9 with just the right authentic looking streaky flame top example and hand it to Florian for the full works. Not so easy to find in the UK. Enjoying this thread however and would love to see how he manages to do the greening and the like.

Oh Lordy Lordy, that's a holy grail guitar for me...stunning!...and what an awesome weight, esp. for an original! Play her in good health sir, and thank you for sharing! Is there a thread where you have more extensive pictures of this beauty?

BlueFin

Logo Mojo! Here are a couple of pics of the logo moving process. Florian "I don't want to see any seem thru the super-thin nitro, which shows everything. If I just close the routing, which is too big after moving the Gibson-logo down, this operation can be seen. So I do it the proper way" You have to love the attention to detail.
IMG_9722.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_9724.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

TM1

I got an R-4 in 2007. Sent it to Kim twice.. The first time was when he was still working with Dave Johnson and Dave did a great job, but all the stuff was not available like it is now at Historic Makeovers. Last time we went with a sunburst. Was suppose to be dark cherry but came out dark brown-ish.
But it has a Brazilian board, Hide Glue neck joint, Vintage Trussrod, celluloid binding, etc. the whole RDS package, logo moved to vintage correct. It's as close to a real `54 as one can get.. It's an incredible guitar!
My 2002 R-0 also has Brazilian and did from day one, but it's also been through the whole RDS process. I wouldn't change a thing on either!

fakejake

I got an R-4 in 2007. Sent it to Kim twice.. The first time was when he was still working with Dave Johnson and Dave did a great job, but all the stuff was not available like it is now at Historic Makeovers. Last time we went with a sunburst. Was suppose to be dark cherry but came out dark brown-ish.
But it has a Brazilian board, Hide Glue neck joint, Vintage Trussrod, celluloid binding, etc. the whole RDS package, logo moved to vintage correct. It's as close to a real `54 as one can get.. It's an incredible guitar!
My 2002 R-0 also has Brazilian and did from day one, but it's also been through the whole RDS process. I wouldn't change a thing on either!

Where did you get the alnicio pu from?

TM1

MJ @ Seymour Duncan made it for me. I really sounds great and the bridge pickup in a `54. I have a few old `50's P-90's & some T-Top's made between `65/`71. I put Throbak A-4 magnets in them. The switch ring is from a `57 & the pickguard was made in `52 as are the extra tall knobs. I did take off the Grovers and put some Kluson "wafflebacks" in their place. Real `50's switchtip. I did have some original IRC pots which Gibson used until 1955, but took those out and put some of the new VIP pots! Those are exceptional and the taper is exactly the same as the original pots in my R-0 and my 1959 LP Special & `60 Melody Maker. The VIP Pots are excellent!

RocknRollShakeUp

Logo Mojo! Here are a couple of pics of the logo moving process. Florian "I don't want to see any seem thru the super-thin nitro, which shows everything. If I just close the routing, which is too big after moving the Gibson-logo down, this operation can be seen. So I do it the proper way" You have to love the attention to detail.
IMG_9722.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_9724.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice!

RocknRollShakeUp

Amazing!

Pellman73

So that was the top underneath the gold top on your original R4? That’s really cool.

I love the staple pickup in the neck. I”m not sure i”ve ever seen a white one!

really cool guitar! The color reminds me a little of how Hotlanta can look kind of purplish in certain shots

BlueFin

Headstock update. Holly Vanier and vintage correct Gibby logo.
IMG_9737.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]