• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Slippery Amber Top Hat Knobs? Solution!

JimFog

Hey,

I prefer the look and size of the amber top hat knobs on my Les Paul. Just looks right. Maybe it’s just me, but I find them hard to turn fast and get a grip on, though. Is that an issue for you, ever?

If so, I think I found a cool solution. I bought a bunch of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Rings-Si...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

….and they slip right over the top hats. I put 2 on each knob. It feels like the knobs Ibanez uses on their archtops, which I always liked…….but are expensive, after-market.

I guess the trick will be if they loosen up and fall off as they get older.

They don’t look too bad, either, I think…….

o ring 2.jpgo ring 1.jpg

Black58

Hey,

I prefer the look and size of the amber top hat knobs on my Les Paul. Just looks right. Maybe it’s just me, but I find them hard to turn fast and get a grip on, though. Is that an issue for you, ever?

If so, I think I found a cool solution. I bought a bunch of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Rings-Si...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

….and they slip right over the top hats. I put 2 on each knob. It feels like the knobs Ibanez uses on their archtops, which I always liked…….but are expensive, after-market.

I guess the trick will be if they loosen up and fall off as they get older.

They don’t look too bad, either, I think…….

View attachment 8323View attachment 8322

What, the pots are stiff to turn?

JimFog

What, the pots are stiff to turn?

No......I just find amber top hats to be harder to get a quick grip on than speed knobs (which I dislike the look of), or really, most any other standard knob.

I know some other people feel the same way.

If you don't? Cool. Nothing you'd be interested in.

Black58

No......I just find amber top hats to be harder to get a quick grip on than speed knobs (which I dislike the look of), or really, most any other standard knob.

I know some other people feel the same way.

If you don't? Cool. Nothing you'd be interested in.

Ah, I see. I guess I'm just used to them. :)

thejaf

I dated a very slippery Amber once.

As for the top hats, it's mostly just the friction of the stock pots. Cool that you found an alternative to replacing the pots.

J T

Good idea. Hope it works for you. Keep an eye on them and peek underneath once in a while to make sure they don't react with the plastic knobs. Remember how guitar stands would "melt" guitar finish.

Black58

Ya know, looking at the photo, I've never seen bonnet knobs that close to the top. :ganz .. Is that an Epi? :hmm

corpse

They sell those at Home Depot- I think to protect wires going in to a metal box.
I use them for polishing frets- wrap them with a piece of 4/0 steel wool and it makes a good profile for dressing/cleaning frets.
BTW- folks are right here- keep an eye out for long term reaction with this CN made fake-crap rubber. You have no idea what it might do esp in a closed case. I would try and maybe hit the knobs with the steel wool to roughen them up before I would do this.
Shaking my head- knobs are too slippery. Just wow. Do you make them take the brown M&M's out of the bowl in your dressing room backstage?
Just joking.

Bob Womack

One of my favorite guitarists, Andrew Latimer, uses the fade-in violin soumd like Dickey Betts used quite a bit. He uses a Burny Supergrade LP copy and found the knobs slippery. He simply tracked down another guitar company's knob that had a rubber insert and installed one to his neck pickup volume control. Done.

Bob

chasenblues

He simply tracked down another guitar company's knob that had a rubber insert and installed one to his neck pickup volume control. Done.

Bob

Ibanez Sure Grip Knobs?

cropds_sure_gripg-04.jpg

renderit

Thanks for the tip! Kinda cool! Ignore these buffoons. I like that it kinda personalizes them myself. Two thumbs up!:dude::dude:

JimFog

Thanks for the tip! Kinda cool! Ignore these buffoons. I like that it kinda personalizes them myself. Two thumbs up!:dude::dude:

Thanks.

Yeah, I don't get the f'n attitude. If it's not an issue for you, move on. No one's forcing anyone to try it. There are plenty of ideas that people have around here that I think are idiotic.........but if it doesn't affect me, why should I care?

BTW, I did 2 gigs today and tonight, and the knobs worked out REALLY well. I do a LOT of constant adjustment of my volumes, and I found this helped immensely.

Maybe for the "set it and forget it" types who rock out at Madison Square Basement, it wouldn't make a difference. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

corpse

Jim- I sincerely meant no offense. It is a clever solution you found there.
I have a serious peeve in this same vein- how do you get a slide off your finger to go back to complex fingerings in a hurry?

renderit

I think they was just havin' fun. No worries there. I should be the LAST to cast stones...

chasenblues

I was just going to say Ibanez.. Also Fender in the `80's used some knobs on their "Elite" series that had rubber inserts..

Don't think the Ibanez(Import/course spline shafts) would fit on Gibson pots though..:hmm