• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2017 LP Classic or 2018 LP studio - dilemma need help!

Coastman

Greetings from a LP newbie. While I’m a longtime member of TGP, Acoustic Guitar forum and others, this is my first foray into the LP arena.

I’m very close to pulling the trigger on either a 2017 LP Classic gold top (used-mint like new condition), or a new 2018 LP studio (smokehouse color). Same 57 classics in both, tho the studio has the coil tap feature, the Classic doesn’t. Not sure that is a big deal for me though.

The 2017 classic will be $500 more than the 2018 studio, tho that’s not a dealbreaker in this case. FWIW - the new 2018 will of course have the factory warranty. The used 2017 Classic will not. Not a huge concern, though it’s certainly a plus having the warranty.

From what I can tell, these are very similar instruments other than the coil tap and cosmetics, with the Classic having full body and neck binding and the studio just neck binding. (And gold top vs plain smokehouse top). I’m not overly enamored with the smokehouse color of the studio (and I definitely don’t care for the vintage sunburst option on the 2018 studios), but I can live with it.

I have a 2015 Gibson ES-339 with B.B. pros that I love. I played a friends LP with the 57’s and I was wowed and, of course, GAS got in my blood and I decided I need an LP with 57classics. No logical reason - Just GAS.

Which one- 2017 Classic or 2018 Studio? i’d appreciate any opinions from the more experienced LP members here!

Last edited:

Dperalta

I'm a big fan of what Gibson did with the Classic for 2017. I have one in Chery Burst and my buddy has a Gold Top. Gibson got these right and I'd pick one up in gold in a heart beat.

David

Zentar

Get the Classic. I have 3 of them. You won't need a warranty.
I have a Studio and a Standard too.

It sounds like you could get a Standard if you really wanted.

Coastman

Thanks for the replies! I havent pulled the trigger yet. Still looking at what’s out there within budget. The choices are overwhelming!

Blackjack30

Classics are some of the best LP's Gibson has ever made.

I prefer the 90's & early 2000's models but feel safe saying the 2017 would be way better than a Studio.

lure555

Swirling Vortex of Sound, Classic Club
I'm a big fan of what Gibson did with the Classic for 2017. I have one in Chery Burst and my buddy has a Gold Top. Gibson got these right and I'd pick one up in gold in a heart beat.

David

This is exactly what I did yesterday. Straight trade for a Classic GT with a Vibramate. This feels like the 57 GT RI I used to have. Amazing.

lure555

Swirling Vortex of Sound, Classic Club

I prefer the 90's & early 2000's models but feel safe saying the 2017 would be way better than a Studio.
My other LP is from that era. At one point I had 5 LPs and it was the only one I kept. Even chose it overs Custom Shop I had.

Coastman

I just pulled the trigger on a mint 2017 Les Paul Classic in wine red finish. It was a special run of this color for Amazons music instrument division. Found it online at a shop in New Hampshire. They were great to work with and gave me a very fair deal. I should have it by the end of next week.

RayTorvalds

What makes a 2017 Classic way better than a 2018 Studio ?

Zentar

Sit a Studio and a LP Classic and a LP Standard flat on a table. The Standard and the Classic have an equally thick body. The Studio body is 1/3" thinner quite easily although I didn't measure. Maybe the Studio is even thinner than that.
The outside body dimensions are all pretty much the same for all 3. There is definitely less Mahogany in a Studio/
Thus the Studio weighs much less than the Classic or Standard by about a pound or more.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

My 2c, I'd take the Classic all day long. Could be wrong but I'd also be inclined to think that a Classic would hold its value better than a Studio in the long run?