• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Factory Order Numbers (FONs)

VamboRool

I've always thought the FONs were an excellent way to date a guitar. I recently had a customer bring in his fifties ES-125. I looked at the FON and it started with a "Y", said "It's a 1953". He said that in fact it was a 1952 as he got the guitar as a gift from his parents when he turned 13. He is very sure of the date as remembers exactly when he got it. I will ask him additional questions when he picks it back up, just needs the tuners replaced as the old buttons have shrunk and are falling apart.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I've always thought the FONs were an excellent way to date a guitar. I recently had a customer bring in his fifties ES-125. I looked at the FON and it started with a "Y", said "It's a 1953". He said that in fact it was a 1952 as he got the guitar as a gift from his parents when he turned 13. He is very sure of the date as remembers exactly when he got it. I will ask him additional questions when he picks it back up, just needs the tuners replaced as the old buttons have shrunk and are falling apart.

Don't replace the keys, just re-button them. :ganz

And ask the customer when his birthday is. :hmm

VamboRool

The customer wanted to go with new tuners as the old ones were pretty frozen up. He got the guitar in April 1952 for his 13th birthday, he was born in 1939, so that is why he is very confident when he got it. Had the original case, tan with green lining, brass Gibson plaque. Had an orange Gibson string box in the pocket. He is going to send me photos of his amp, also a Gibson. Hopefully, be able to get the production code off of the speaker.

JimR56

Not to be mean or anything, but I trust the dating by the number more than the 79 year-old owner's memory. I think we've all experienced the sensation of being "sure" about something (especially a date long ago, and especially if you're over age 50 or so... maybe I should even say over 40 :spabout) and then finding out that the facts are a bit different. I see it on Antiques Roadshow all the time, where people are sure about something from their family history, and turn out to be quite wrong.

VamboRool

Jim-Normally I would tend to agree with you, but in this case, the guitar was a birthday/bar mitzvah present from his parents which nails down the year to 1952. I don't think there is any difference between a 52 and 53 ES-125 so it's not a significant matter. Next time he comes in I'm going to pull the pots out and check the date codes on them. Didn't have time while the guitar was in, but neat to see a 66 year old guitar and its original owner still together.