• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

SpencerD

What the fuck is going on here?

Slug pole dip switches? -- I didn't know that was a real thing.

Two colors available.

Black58

The children of the people who worked at Gibson in the 70's, are now running Gibson. :rofl

grimlyflick

Personally I don’t think we should all start losing our shit about this.

If you don’t want the extra features buy the Traditional, although I do think they should call the Traditional the Standard and maybe call the Standard the Modern or the Extra or something.

I can’t imagine those colours shifting a lot if units though.

Just my 2c.

Incidentally I have a 2016 Standard and although all the push/pulls are fun, after a while I grew tired of it all and swapped it out for a more traditional wiring loom.
:salude

zombiwoof

What the fuck is going on here?

Slug pole dip switches? -- I didn't know that was a real thing.

Two colors available.

The DIP switches just seem to give you wiring options without re-wiring the pickups, like choosing between modern and 50's wiring, or tapped or split sounds, which coils are selected when splitting, etc. I guess it's a good idea, you don't have to change your wiring, then change it back because you don't like it. It seems complicated, but really just gives more wiring options. I think most players would find the switch positions they like, then leave it there. For people that know exactly what wiring they like, it really isn't necessary, but for those that want to experiment with different wiring without physically rewiring the guitar multiple times, it wood be good. Personally, I don't like slim taper necks, or asymmetrical profile necks, so this version of the Standard is not for me, I'll take the Trad, just look for a lighter weight one. I've been watching the stores that list individual guitar weights, and the Trads seem to very a lot, some are less than 9 lbs., some are 10 lbs. or more.
Al

Black58

If something goes wrong with it, do you bring it to a guitar tech, or the gas station to borrow their system analyzer? :hmm

El Gringo

Very nice features for those that are interested . Personally myself I feel it is a bit much and then I wonder if something goes out the headache it will be to repair .

PHILBERT

I agree...nice features. And I also see a problem if a pot fails...which they will eventually. That would not be so user serviceable. But sound options are good, as long as you can get back to vintage if you like that. I do, but I also like single coil options, which work better on some pickups than others.

My big problem with this guitar is the dense and heavy wood (full of holes), Burstbucker Pro pickups (harsh sounding to my ears) and un-vintage headstock shape (something I really love about old Gibson guitars). If they were smart, Gibson would put small connectors on the pickups that would allow pickup swapping without soldering. That fancy board should have standard (replaceable) pots that can be serviced, and nothing that can't be replaced if it fails. Push/push pots are better for keeping the same settings when you switch modes, and easier to use. And a "kit" that can be swapped if someone wants a traditional arrangement.

The more I think about it, "configure your own guitar" would be a way to please everyone. Give the end user real option choices so you never have to compromise because the factory makes things you don't like. Select the body build and neck shape, select the color, then select the drop-in electronics kit and prefered plug-in pickups. And use reliable plugs on all electronics. No more soldering.

My choice would be a vintage build, "non-fading" original new '59 burst color (want it to stay that way), accurate plastics with realistic aged colors, chrome hardware (I like it better), 4-conductor Holmes pickups, Brasil rosewood fretboard and a serviceable version of this custom wiring board with plug in pickups, switches and push/push pots. That would be my ultimate tone machine with the build and look of the vintage ones.

Phil

Fretz86

I recently decided I needed a Les Paul. I thought about buying a Standard but just couldn't see myself using all the gadgets and do dads. I also wanted a sunburst. I ended up with a Traditional. I kinda agree that the Traditional should be the Standard and this ultra modern thing something else. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what it's called I guess if it has the right set of features. Also was a good chunk cheaper which was fine by me. I was a little nervous with what this year's guitars would be like with all that's going on with Gibson but I'm happy to report the build quality on mine is nearly perfect.

I don’t get the angst. If you don’t like it so what and move on. Gibson literally gives you multiple choices on Les Pauls from low to high. If you want a real authentic vintage les Paul....that is new....the custom shop has them.

zacknorton

Oh no!!!

Internal Wiring options!

Not a big deal. Actually it is kinda cool. Unlike most of the new colors which are mostly ugly and unnecessary.

Like peach. Peaches are great to eat. But I don’t need a peach colored guitar.

cincyguitar

These new Lp's have really good prices too.....prices nobody can afford...:dang