• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ed King, ‘64 SG.

Ed A

Was watching the Ed King sit down with Marty Schwartz. That tone he got out of his ‘64 SG for the Am I Losing solo just floors me! Nothing like a patent number in an all mahogany SG. What a loss, such a good player… Any of you guys that were friendly with him have any idea what amp he was using on that song on the original Skynyrd album?

GotTheSilver

Oh, man. I hadn't heard that Ed had passed until I read this post. So sad now.

RIP, Ed.

Dave P

I thought he had Wizz pickups in his SG? I thought I read somewhere one of the original pickups died years ago?

Zeppelinguy85

All Access/Backstage Pass
Was watching the Ed King sit down with Marty Schwartz. That tone he got out of his ‘64 SG for the Am I Losing solo just floors me! Nothing like a patent number in an all mahogany SG. What a loss, such a good player… Any of you guys that were friendly with him have any idea what amp he was using on that song on the original Skynyrd album?

This list looks pretty comprehensive, it lists a Marshall for that track specifically. The author lists Ed King as a contributor, hopefully the description of the burst “used on Nuthin Fsncy” was a joke.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/23991125/Lynyrd-Skynyrd-Ed-King-Equipment-History

Ed A

Thanks for that link! Quite detailed. OK so 50W Marshall. Sounds good to me!