• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How Do I Sell A Guitar?

OldStrummer

Stupid question, I know. But I've never sold a guitar before. I usually buy things I like and intend to keep. But now I find I have a few guitars that I never take out of their cases, and are simply taking up space.

My online transactions have been limited to mostly eBay (buying) and Reverb (buying), but never to selling. I'm leery of Craigslist for no specific reason other than I've heard horror stories.

So, any ideas/tips/suggestions/recommendations? The guitars I'm thinking of selling are 2 SGs (virtually new) and a 1998 Les Paul Special SL. If it were YOU selling them, how would you do it?

duaneflowers

Stupid question, I know. But I've never sold a guitar before. I usually buy things I like and intend to keep. But now I find I have a few guitars that I never take out of their cases, and are simply taking up space.

My online transactions have been limited to mostly eBay (buying) and Reverb (buying), but never to selling. I'm leery of Craigslist for no specific reason other than I've heard horror stories.

So, any ideas/tips/suggestions/recommendations? The guitars I'm thinking of selling are 2 SGs (virtually new) and a 1998 Les Paul Special SL. If it were YOU selling them, how would you do it?

I'd try to sell them locally first... fewer headaches that way.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I'm leery of Craigslist for no specific reason other than I've heard horror stories.

It's a safe way if you take proper precautions.
And if you need to, meet up in the police station parking lot, in broad daylight. :ganz

OldStrummer

So, let me see if I've got this: Take several good pictures. Post on Craigslist locally. Meet in person, in public. Take only cash.

Is that about it?

GuitarMikey

That's always worked for me :salude

Also, you will get the occasional scammer on craigslist emailing something about being out of the country or wanting you to ship the guitar to them.
Don't fall for that nonsense.

Blue97FXSTC

It's been my experience that the guys at Guitar Center are happy to provide a free, safe place to execute a Craigslist transaction.

renderit

I would use a music lessons place. They would probably be happy to have floor traffic on some of the bigger ones and the students there might get told by their instructors as well so it could drum up business. We must have 30 big ones here in Austin.