• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1953-1956 Goldtops - What to Look For?

pjisaacs

So I'm starting to view the above, with a view to buying. Apart from the normal black light and looking for breaks, anything I particular people would advise me to look out for?

Thanks in advance!

sws1

So I'm starting to view the above, with a view to buying. Apart from the normal black light and looking for breaks, anything I particular people would advise me to look out for?

Thanks in advance!

Look for an experienced expert to evaluate the guitar with you, in person.

pjisaacs

Thanks and good advice, not always easy to find!

i have a number of vintage Gibson’s already (53 conversion, 60 junior, 62 special, 64 SG, 65 J45, 67 Es-330, 72 Custom) so this won’t be my firsr

sidekick

Early period '53/'54 studs were the shorter length. Fixable, but look for wrapover 'lean'. The later style wrap/longer studs arguably preferable than the 'thin-ear' 3/16" wrap, (imo). But if you change a '53/early '54 studs/bushings will lose 'originality'. On the other hand, the early wrap '53's had a better bridge pickup height ratio to the strings before when the neck angle had less angle.

Doubtless, others will chime in, but that was my experience.

pjisaacs

Thanks - one thing I’m not sure of and I feel I really should know by now, is the ‘i’ on the Gibson logo an absolute, in terms of dating?

latestarter

53-56 covers a lot of ground, and each iteration of the development in that period could fill a few posts. Got a year/version in mind?

pjisaacs

Thanks fair point.

Favourite would be a late 53 to early 55 (wrap over tail piece)
Second place 53 with trapeze tail

I think the Tune-o-matic will likely be out of my budget, I want to avoid repaired breaks for example

latestarter

Tall or short control knobs?

Those shorter knobs really kill off the top end toanz.

OP, I would be looking for the things others have mentioned around leaning studs. Not a major as they can be fixed relatively easily. I’ve seen models with the longer inserts still lean too.

I would try and play any guitar you’re seriously considering...hard to do in this day of online purchases. Neck shape can be quite different. The ‘54 thats local to me has a big neck with a V shape...I like it, others don’t.

Do your homework on pickups, pots, tuners and wrap tails. When I get home I’ll post some shots of this local ‘54...it’s all original and a good reference.

pjisaacs

Those shorter knobs really kill off the top end toanz.

OP, I would be looking for the things others have mentioned around leaning studs. Not a major as they can be fixed relatively easily. I’ve seen models with the longer inserts still lean too.

I would try and play any guitar you’re seriously considering...hard to do in this day of online purchases. Neck shape can be quite different. The ‘54 thats local to me has a big neck with a V shape...I like it, others don’t.

Do your homework on pickups, pots, tuners and wrap tails. When I get home I’ll post some shots of this local ‘54...it’s all original and a good reference.

Thanks very much - that's what I'm doing, and I have a 53 conversion to check inlays against - which should help