• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Arbiter fuzz face info!

dlmorley

Hi all
whilst collecting some speakers, I noticed a few pedals that the seller had.
Now, i don’t know much about fuzz faces, not really being a big fuzz fan, but my mind did say that an arbiter fuzz is a good thing.
So, it’s mine now :salude
and having looked, I think it’s an original.
Can anyone give me some thoughts on what I bought! It seems to have a changed Pot or it’s missing the cover and one knob is missing a bit of plastic.
But, is it really a 60’s one?
Any info appreciated.
Thx!
A097C6EB-E34B-484F-9EBF-01115D2E395A.jpgB73A132D-9DBD-4E6F-91E2-2A161B183050.jpg7FF81AA6-BC10-42F2-81FF-9F24CE33D248.jpg9C8D931F-B2EE-4893-99C6-0E8F782F85E6.jpg

F-Hole

Yes, it's not a reissue. Changed pot and battery lead. Take a look at the two transistors and post the type.

springhead

It's an early Germanium one - "Arbiter" rather than "Dallas Arbiter". And looks like NKT 275's.

Those grey shells are my favourite. I've got a gutted one in to rebuild for a very talented Hendrix player that I'm struggling to part with.

Nice find, congratulations!

dlmorley

Wow. Thanks for the info. Looks like I got lucky. I'll test it when time allows. I'm actually looking forwards to putting the celestions in my Selmer Zodiac which is why I got them. Should be a great combination I hope.
Thx again.
David

F-Hole

Wow. Thanks for the info. Looks like I got lucky. I'll test it when time allows. I'm actually looking forwards to putting the celestions in my Selmer Zodiac which is why I got them. Should be a great combination I hope.
Thx again.
David

Ha, you lost me at putting good speakers in a Selmer.......:spabout

dlmorley

Ha, you lost me at putting good speakers in a Selmer.......:spabout

I have this Selmer since decades and it has one original G12 in poor condition and a broken goodmans. I’m fitting a pair of g12h so it’s technically 1a. I’ll keep the g12 and goodmans and get them repaired. If I ever find another G12 t731 to go with the one original, I’ll do that.

Zinc Alloy

Yes, it's not a reissue. Changed pot and battery lead. Take a look at the two transistors and post the type.

Battery lead looks original to me. The NKT275 print is visible on one of the transistors. :)

marfen

You hit the jackpot as far as fuzzfaces go. Unbelievable what asking prices are for germanium FFs on reverb. More importantly they sound so great.

Zinc Alloy

No. These are original. They ARE PP3 snaps and PP3s are the "current" 9V types. The Fuzz Face never came with PP4 snaps (which is what the Tone Bender and other mid-60's British pedals used). At one point it had separate snaps for + and -, but those were also PP3 sized. This type of 9V snaps is the most common original type. I must have seen hundereds of Fuzz Faces that had them (I've been saving auction photos for years ;)).

dlmorley

Thanks for the info
The battery clip looks 100 percent original to me.
I've been trying it today. Damn, it's fine. At first it was not sounding good, but the switch was intermittent. The seller hadn't used it for 15 years or so.
But after a while it came to life. So much better than the fuzzes I have had.
Alas, a keeper because I could probably get a lot for it. But thus plugged into my Selmer is superb.
Thanks to a for the info.
David

No. These are original. They ARE PP3 snaps and PP3s are the "current" 9V types. The Fuzz Face never came with PP4 snaps (which is what the Tone Bender and other mid-60's British pedals used). At one point it had separate snaps for + and -, but those were also PP3 sized. This type of 9V snaps is the most common original type. I must have seen hundereds of Fuzz Faces that had them (I've been saving auction photos for years ;)).

dlmorley

You hit the jackpot as far as fuzzfaces go. Unbelievable what asking prices are for germanium FFs on reverb. More importantly they sound so great.

I'm a believer now. It sounds wonderful..
I'll record something and post it soon.
It will go down as a very lucky day for me when I found this!

mdubya

Thanks for the info
So much better than the fuzzes I have had.
Alas, a keeper because I could probably get a lot for it. But thus plugged into my Selmer is superb.

I bet. o.o !!!!

I would love to hear that combo! :dude: