• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Guitarists with your fav LP tone

JPP-1

Jimmy Page 1971 RAH
Duane Allmän 1971 Filmore East
Peter Green Live in Boston
Mick Taylor Let it Bleed Sticky Fingers

Page's tone definitely changed from 71 to 75, The 71 live recording is tonally a high point afaic, with the Garden 73 a close second.

marshall1987

I can't believe no one has listed Martin Barre on the Jethro Tull Aqualung album! :salude

brandtkronholm

Jimmy Page 1971 RAH
Duane Allmän 1971 Filmore East
Peter Green Live in Boston
Mick Taylor Let it Bleed Sticky Fingers

Page's tone definitely changed from 71 to 75, The 71 live recording is tonally a high point afaic, with the Garden 73 a close second.

Led Zeppelin didn't play the RAH in 1971. Did you mean 1970? (January 9, 1970.) - 'Cause yeah man, his tone is totally happenin' for that show! Actually, for all of 1970, his sound is super great. His sound for the European tour of 1970 is outrageous! Check out March 7, 1970, Montreaux Switzerland. Both the audience and soundboard sound great. (The Empress Valley label is the best bet.)

I'm also a big fan of his tone during the 1972 American tour - and this is with a non-original humbucker in the bridge of his Les Paul. The double white PAF busted somewhere in the Australian tour and was replaced with a T-top of some kind. HtWWW is remarkable.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
To round up the usual suspects:

• Jimmy Page.
  • Truth-era Jeff Beck.
  • Bluesbreakers-era Eric Clapton.
  • Keith Richards and Mick Taylor during the late '60s and early '70s.
  • Pete Townshend on the segments filmed at Shepperton Studios for The Kids are Alright.
  • And that fellow whose signature is on the instrument's headstock.

WytLytnyn

Early ZZ Top
Gary Moore -Still Got The Blues
Jimmy Page - You pick the album and cut
Duane Allman - Fillmore Concerts
Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes

Zakk Wylde - While I don't consider his tone to truly be representative of what an LP truly sounds like, loved his sound on the "No More Tears" album. Hated his sound on "Ozzmosis". Sounded like a beehive

musekatcher

I lot of my favorite guitarists played LPs, but for the most gorgeous tones, I'm voting for:

EC - Bluesbreakers
Don Felder - (clean award)
Joe Walsh - (slide award)
Billy Gibbons
Mic Ralph
Slash
Leslie West (P90 award)
Tom Scholz

Ed A

Led Zeppelin didn't play the RAH in 1971. Did you mean 1970? (January 9, 1970.) - 'Cause yeah man, his tone is totally happenin' for that show! Actually, for all of 1970, his sound is super great. His sound for the European tour of 1970 is outrageous! Check out March 7, 1970, Montreaux Switzerland. Both the audience and soundboard sound great. (The Empress Valley label is the best bet.)

I'm also a big fan of his tone during the 1972 American tour - and this is with a non-original humbucker in the bridge of his Les Paul. The double white PAF busted somewhere in the Australian tour and was replaced with a T-top of some kind. HtWWW is remarkable.

Off topic... but totally agree that my all-time favorite Jimmy Page tone from a bootleg recording is March 70 Montreux. A perfect example of the Les Paul through the Hiwatt. While I do love January 70 the Royal Albert Hall, Pages tone there was actually pretty thick and muddy compared to what he typically got through the Hiwatt in 1970. And I too love his straight plexi tone in 1972. I saw Zeppelin for the first time at the Nassau Coliseum June 14, 1972 and that show turned my world upside down! Of course 1973 Jimmy had some great stuff going on with his tone as well, a little brighter and edgier than 72, but by 75 and then certainly 77 with the KT88‘s and bringing his overall volume level on the amp down compared to earlier years, there was just not enough sustain and drive and too much bright clarity for my taste.

Last edited:

Fornax

Mick Ronson with his stripped finish LP on The Man Who Sold The World album. She Shook Me Cold, etc. Hands down, some ground breaking heavy metal tones on that one!

dwagar

The tone that has always stuck in the back of my brain is Bloomfield, Texas (Electric Flag)

thejaf

Early ZZ Top

Zakk Wylde - While I don't consider his tone to truly be representative of what an LP truly sounds like, loved his sound on the "No More Tears" album. Hated his sound on "Ozzmosis". Sounded like a beehive

My favorite of Zakk's tones are those on his Pride & Glory album.

jrgtr42

Mark KNopfler Money for Nothing
Early Guns N Roses - SLash.
Peter Green.
When David Gilmour picks up his early Goldtop in the videos from the On An Island sessions and concert. (His Strat tones are top of the list too.)

TcRoc

I have to go with recently, Last couple years I have been really digging Doug Aldrich specifically with The Dead Daisies