• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Another Eric Johnson solo cover from Venus Isle

P.Walker

Hopefully there are fans of EJ and his album out there like me...man is the pinnacle for me when it comes to this kind of stuff...

If you are only familiar with Cliffs of Dover, that's okay too but do give Venus Isle a listen. It may be an acquired taste for some, but you will come to appreciate it; it's a matter of time...

Hope you all enjoy it and wish you all a great day :)

jhmp

Thats no small feat to get it down - he is a monster!
- good on you :)

Dave P

Nice cover! I love EJ. I had a work accident in early 1986 where I cut two fingetips off my left hand and had them reattached. I almost gave up playing guitar at that time. But then EJ's Tones album came out, and I was inspired and determined to overcome. So thank EJ, if I would have hung up the guitar, this place wouldn't exist. :dude:

Elmore

Great guitar work and thanks for posting. I dug that album when it came out, and saw him tour it in Atlanta. EJ is a very special talent. One of the very few who has taken the ball further down the field.

P.Walker

Nice cover! I love EJ. I had a work accident in early 1986 where I cut two fingetips off my left hand and had them reattached. I almost gave up playing guitar at that time. But then EJ's Tones album came out, and I was inspired and determined to overcome. So thank EJ, if I would have hung up the guitar, this place wouldn't exist. :dude:

Oh man, sorry about the accident but that story is pure inspiration :)

I envy you, you truly lived through his peak. I saw him in 2012 and my jaw dropped. I have many bootlegs from 80s/90s of him and I'd have to be carried off via 911 each time if I were to see him live.

EJ the strat slinger sparked the creation of the LPF :jim What a cool story- how funny the world is!

Thanks for watching again and you're obviously welcome to check out the other videos on my channel.

For me he is the absolute pinnacle. Hendrix would have been extremely proud of him.

Admittedly when I first heard him, I was negatively swayed by the murmurs of processed tone yada yada no soul yada yada.

Got my grados on and played through tones / musicom / venus isle straight for three hours and I haven't been the same since.

Joe B also calls his live solo of Desert Rose the absolute best and his originality is something everyone should strive for.

P.Walker

Great guitar work and thanks for posting. I dug that album when it came out, and saw him tour it in Atlanta. EJ is a very special talent. One of the very few who has taken the ball further down the field.

His material truly stands the test of time and only gets better each year. I know because I have thousands of hours logged on since I had to learn to play this stuff and there aren't really any correct versions of sheet music for this stuff. In that process I bet I forgot to sight read but at least my ears got better. Honestly I have so much respect for solo artists like him. It's like supercharged hendrix in many ways.

Stupid opinion of mine but I actually think he's an even better acoustic player which is quite ridiculous considering how godly he is on electric.