• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson spaced low profile P90 dog ear covers?

Jennings

I've got one of the recent Gibson SG Juniors in "LP" Junior configuration...ie, the modern remakes of the early 60s Junior. Annoyingly the neck angle means that in order to have the action where I like it the strings just grace the edge of the pickup cover. So it's either play with the action higher, or attempt to file or source a lower profile/height flat bottom dog ear cover. Not much thickness to play with in terms of sanding the bottom of he existing cover to remove material, and all replacements have seen in he UK have the wrong pole spacing for US Gibsons. Anyone else encountered this issue, and what did you do about it?

Zentar

Is your warranty still in effect? Return it. If you have no further adjustment range then you have a defect.
At least go by a luthier shop and get a first hand opinion.

Jennings

Very good point! I certainly would have done, but sadly I’m the second owner and the issue has only really become obvious as I adjust the guitar to my tastes...I like a fairly straight neck and low is action. That’s why I’m hoping just a cover change or fettle by even half a mil’ will cure the problem. Problem is removing material from dog ear covers doesn’t give you much material to play with.

Zentar

Can you turn that P90 around? Maybe it is in backwards? P90 covers are taller on one side than the other.