• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

3XX Guitars and the Weather

jalevinemd

In another thread, I said how I’m likely to start gigging with my 335 instead of my LP. I was just curious to know if you’re less likely to take your semi hollow or hollow body guitars out when the temperatures are either extremely high or low? We’re in the middle of a little heat wave here in Chicago and it’s humid as hell. I’m just a bit concerned on how the weather might impact these guitars differently than it would a solid body, especially gigging outside.

Thoughts?

wmachine

You'll be fine. Take it out and have fun.
I'm curious about this too, just from an informational standpoint.
You may be right, but the problem with an answer like that is there is no reason at all to trust it, and quite frankly anyone would be stupid to trust it.
"Yeah, someone on the internet said it would be fine". Are they there to make good if there *is* a problem?
Sorry, but to me, you'll have have a better answer that that to have any credence.

StSpider

I've never had issues with my 330. It's a pretty stable guitar, I hardly ever touch the truss rod.

1jamman

Since I moved to Brazil and no longer have an AC controlled environment keeping my guitars at a constant ~ state of temp and Humidity . None have had any issues other then imo , cosmetic . Play'em , and when an adjustment is needed , do it or get it done ... .

It's Winter here and starting to warm up now . Even so, it's Warm most days and only getting Hotter . For Guitars I've have here for years ( when I traveled back and forth) . The biggest issue I've had happen was the frets oxidizing . They needed a polishing . Otherwise , after a string change , all are good to go . Playing them on some what of a regular basis, fixes that , I've found .

Another possible "help" would be the case the guitar resides in . I brought 2 Gibson's here 3 years ago in anticipation of moving here and kept them in Water tight cases (*don't recall the name off hand) IMO , worth every penny I spent on them . Both were un-played for over 2 years , And when I returned and checked them out , even the strings were good to use . needed a change , but good enough to play until I located the strings I had brought .

But none have any issues with the woods ... None ...

mdubya

I only gigged with my Epi Sheraton for a 335 type. It was as solid as, if not more so, than my SG Special (1991-nothing vintage).

I gigged with a Firebird V, too. And it was stable as could be.

I gigged summer and winter, indoors and out. Most clubs or basement parties were hot and stuffy and humid, summer and winter.

I don't think your 335 would be any more or less susceptible to humidity than any other guitar.