• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

put a Gotoh modern tele bridge on my Wildwood thin skin 64 reissue tele

RocknRollShakeUp

I put on the brass plate, brass saddle version.

So far I dig it.

The tone has changed. The guitar had a brighter, "clang-ier", maybe janglier, less defined tone with the vintage bridge.

It sounded great, and I know that lots of people prefer this type of tele tone, so if you don't want to lose this type of tone, don't go to the Gotoh.

The tone now is still very twangy..actually a bit more twangy.. it is a more punchy focused twang, and the sustain has increased a bit. It sounds more pedal steel like to me. The notes are more defined individually. Strangely, the guitar now sounds a lot more like the Tele sound that I heard in my head as the ideal Tele tone. I am very pleased with the result.

My Tele has the Twisted Tele pickup set btw. I use the bridge pickup most of the time. Now I will use the neck and middle position more, because now these positions seem to have a bit more of a rounded, more punchy tone, that I like more than when I had the vintage bridge. Still, with a tele, the bridge pickup tone is where it's at for me, and it is still that way with the Gotoh bridge.

I have a very bright rig, and the Tele with the Vintage bridge almost seemed too bright with this rig. I run a Vintage Sound 15 as my wet amp, and a Goodsell 17 mark IV as my dry amp. With the vintage bridge I used to run my Tele tone knob 25-30 % rolled off. Now I run the guitar tone maybe 12.5% rolled off to 0% rolled off. I went from the VS treble knob set at 6, to 6.5 to 7, and the Goodsell tone knob set at 9 o'clock to about 10 o'clock-ish.

The Gotoh is heavy. The vintage bridge weighed around a bit under .25lbs, the Gotoh weighs around .55 lbs, I went from a 7.49 lb tele to a 7.8 lb tele roughly. This added weight makes the the guitar hang down in place more solidly, with the neck in a more up position which I really like. The guitar didn't neck dive before, but if I used a more satin shirt with a more slicker strap and I put a heavier capo on the guitar, it would almost want to dive a bit..it definitely wanted to hang more horizontally.

It intonated close enough with the vintage bridge, but now it intonates better of course.

So for me it is working great and I'm really glad I did it....I almost feel closer in spirit to Keith and Andy now too..just kidding, but the tone now has that punchier feel!

iouutCB.jpg

PjZGR5n.jpg

EIvgTqE.jpg

b0VF6lA.jpg

RocknRollShakeUp

I like those knobs.

Slick looking guitar!

Thanks!

I have this condition where I have to change knobs on certain types of guitars! It is silly but I really dug the result on this tele so I am glad that you like them!

Don't worry, I have never felt the need to change knobs on a Les Paul, esp a Historic.

Elmore

I use that same bridge on my Tele. Really like it.