• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A Topic Other Than Greta Van Fleet?

Bruce R

Come on folks - isn't there anything else we can find to discuss other than Greta Van Fleet? I tend to like them, that being said, but there must be something we can come up with regarding 60's SG's or Les Pauls to talk about! :)

Anybody compare a new '68 Reissue Goltop or Custom to an original one?

renderit

I really miss the 69 Custom I had other than the weight. I'm afraid the guy from Greta Van Fleet couldn't hold it up...

fakejake

This morning I was wondering why 60ies SGs are so much less expensive than 335s...
Anyone wants to share their guess? Were there just fewer 335s made, or is it simply their popularity?
But then SGs are pretty popular as well, with so many famous players having used them...
:hmm

renderit

Being perfectly honest. My FIRST electric and FIRST non-piece of offal guitar was an SG. They were much more affordable than most of the other options. And they sounded NICE!

deytookerjaabs

This morning I was wondering why 60ies SGs are so much less expensive than 335s...
Anyone wants to share their guess? Were there just fewer 335s made, or is it simply their popularity?
But then SGs are pretty popular as well, with so many famous players having used them...
:hmm

Or at least, what was behind the increase in popularity/market value of the ES's? Maybe it's just my perspective but in the 90's it seemed like nobody wanted one. I remember being told they were "just for jazz & blues guys." This guy bought a '63 ES345 around 2001 or so, that says a lot! I sold it for a good chunk more after I couldn't get along with it after a year of trying then they just kept going up & up, wish I'd found one I liked better. But, I can't tie the popularity increase to anything beyond, perhaps, the internet & blogs etc.

Blackjack30

IDK why they were posted here anyway. We were suppose to be talking about guitars.

MeHereNow

IDK why they were posted here anyway. We were suppose to be talking about guitars.

"I cant stand them either. Comparing them to Led Zeppelin is an insult to Led Zeppelin. Its like when they were saying John Mayer was the new SRV .... fAilZ. It just proves my point that we live in a vacuum for real Talent & people desperately want something to believe in.
Tickets for GVF went on sale 2 months ago. Nobody could get thru to buy the first hour. By the second hour prices for the regular crappy seats Tripled in price.
Sorry but im not paying $300 bucks to sit in the back to watch Greta & her sisters pretend to Rock n Roll.

Growing up in the 60's & 70's and surviving the 80's im content knowing ive prolly seen the best Talent ever to play music & i don't have to try hard to see anything else.
I respect this chick more because she's Original.

GVF seems they're trying to be something they're not which seems dis-ingenuous.

It also seems cart before the horse for a band with no album to be Touring.
Sorry man, gotta be truthful GVF music is just kinda weird. Maybe if i hadn't grown up with so many great bands i wouldn't know any different.

If you were about to touch the 3rd Rail and get killed you'd want me to warn you wouldn't you.

GVF is the 3rd Rail.

FWIW im sure they think they're the Ultimate Rock Band.

Like i said they dont even have an album released or recorded, putting them on Tour seems cart before the Horse.

There are no 1/2 measures to success.
2 Singles is all they had. Maybe they have a Live release going on. They've done no Studio work. They lost the first Drummer earlier this year. They canceled 2 sold out shows here earlier this year. IDK if anyone got refunds. When tickets went on sale for the third show the ticket prices Tripled after the first hour for the shitty seats. It was a total scam.
They are as bad as old Guns & Roses for not showing up. At least nowdays Guns shows up.
Like most music after 1990' i want nothing to do with this ...

THEY'RE JUST LIKE LED ZEPPLIN ....:bigal

"Hate" isn't in my DNA bro. Having an "opinion" about music is as individual as the color of our Hair.
The music isnt really that bad but the singer looks & sounds like Lesbian. Just not my thing man.
Im not "anti greta" im just "Pro something else". "

That's what the "Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?" was about in the first place: vintage SG guitars.
It's in the title..
Now.. you sure did a lot of non-guitar talking (see above quotes) in there and bring it up here again too..
But i'm with you on your statement..
"We were suppose to be talking about guitars"
So let's..

Blackjack30

congratulations-on-your-ability-to-create-drama-out-of-absolutely-18666836.png

Hey asshole give it a rest ...

El Gringo

Being perfectly honest. My FIRST electric and FIRST non-piece of offal guitar was an SG. They were much more affordable than most of the other options. And they sounded NICE!
In High school Jazz band we had 2 other kids that played guitar with me and the rest of the band . The one kid had a small guard early 60's Cherry SG and the other kid had a early reissue Cherry Sunburst Les Paul and we were all like he has a Sunburst (which we were in awe of) that does not look like Jimmy Page's Burst and I had my trusty Ebony Les Paul Custom . So the kid with the SG was a freaking virtuoso and could play rings and circles around us . We were not in his league what so ever . We were typical kids playing in our crummy garage bands and having fun . This kid was Jimmy Hendrix reincarnated . We would say play this and he would play it note for note . We could never come anywhere close to his skill or talent . As I write this I think of the irony that 3 kids playing in High School Jazz Band with Mr. Lutzy (who was a long haired Jazz aficionado ) all played Gibson Guitars . Only a Gibson was Good Enough for Jazz Band . I forgot to mention the school supplied us with Silverface Fender Twin Reverb's which we would try to get to distort which of course they would not and Mr. Lutzy did not allow us to use any stompboxes because when the 3 of us would warm up we would use some of our boxes which I had my Big Muff .

GuitarMikey

Did you guys know the kid from Greta Van Fleet is playing a vintage SG!?!?

:biggrin:

Last edited:

moonweasel

Sorry all! I know have been a lame "host" for a while. :) Life gets in the way most of the time. I updated the Crown Headstock thread with a juicy tid-bit. I'll try to post more often on LSLPs when I can. Thanks

renderit

You need to change your avatar from "Wow" to "I wonder if Greta Van Fleet has one of dem?"