• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Collectors Choice pickup info

sws1

I don't believe the folks working in the pickup winding and assembly department had anything to do with it.

If memory serves, the pickup winding department is actually a vendor...not Gibson. I could have my stories confused.

marshall1987

When did Gibson contract out the pickup winding ?

As far as I know, Gibson produces their own pickups, and they always have. :dude:

There are recent YouTube videos showing Gibson employees winding pickups at their work benches in the Gibson Nashville plant.

LeonC

As far as I know, Gibson produces their own pickups, and they always have. :dude:

There are recent YouTube videos showing Gibson employees winding pickups at their work benches in the Gibson Nashville plant.

Pickup discussion starts around 27:34.

sws1

I wonder if what got tangled in my head is that the Custom Shop outsources the pickup winding to Gibson USA. I have a bit of other Gib USA/outsourcing info that probably got confused with this.

My head is full of useful guitar information. I can't be held accountable for wires which get crossed. ;)

El Gringo

Leon C , thanks for posting the Gibson USA plant video . That makes me want some new Gibson Les Paul's (I have to wait until the spring when my piggy bank replenishes , because as long as I draw breathe I will want more Les Paul's because I can never have enough )

renderit

I wonder if what got tangled in my head is that the Custom Shop outsources the pickup winding to Gibson USA. I have a bit of other Gib USA/outsourcing info that probably got confused with this.

My head is full of useful guitar information. I can't be held accountable for wires which get crossed. ;)

At least youse gots the USEFUL info before shorting out. I find myself talking to the walls and trolls...

LeonC

Leon C , thanks for posting the Gibson USA plant video . That makes me want some new Gibson Les Paul's (I have to wait until the spring when my piggy bank replenishes , because as long as I draw breathe I will want more Les Paul's because I can never have enough )

Yeah, keep in mind the video is from 2012, so it may not reflect exactly what's going on today...but as far as I can tell, there is simply no reason to assume that they decided to farm out construction of their pickups. They clearly had all the infrastructure and know-how required to build pickups in 2012...

marshall1987

Yeah, keep in mind the video is from 2012, so it may not reflect exactly what's going on today...but as far as I can tell, there is simply no reason to assume that they decided to farm out construction of their pickups. They clearly had all the infrastructure and know-how required to build pickups in 2012...

The day Gibson stops making guitar pickups will be the day they stop making guitars.