• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickups For An R9

Andrew

It truly disgusts me when people don't adjust these things, or at least find someone who can! :ganz
^Sarcasm I hope^:rofl

Black58 is on the right path when it comes to pickups. Those burstbuckers are pretty bootkeek and well voiced as is. JD Simo had an Ed King (RIP) Custom shop Les Paul before he was getting in to the Vintage Market. This Les Paul had the Burstbucker 3 in the Neck and a Custom voice burstbucker in the Bridge that was even HOTTER! That's right HOTTER! But of course it sounded like old school PAFs. He did it by screwing both pups down flush to the rings.

Black58

^Sarcasm I hope^:rofl

Black58 is on the right path when it comes to pickups. Those burstbuckers are pretty bootkeek and well voiced as is. JD Simo had an Ed King (RIP) Custom shop Les Paul before he was getting in to the Vintage Market. This Les Paul had the Burstbucker 3 in the Neck and a Custom voice burstbucker in the Bridge that was even HOTTER! That's right HOTTER! But of course it sounded like old school PAFs. He did it by screwing both pups down flush to the rings.

Uh huh. .. and that's only the tip of the iceberg: Those polepieces are also adjustable. :ganz

TM1

Since I’ve had a really nice 2002 R-0 for the last 15 years, I would change the pots first. The pots they used then were just shit! Get a set of the VIP pots and a pair of good caps. Luckily mine has a matched set of 1960 Centralab 500K pots & the caps that came with them( Sprague Mylar Bees’) , you could like the sound of the BB’s with those pots, but I would suggest swapping magnets in the BB’s for Throbak A-4’s as the Chinese A-2’s or A-5’s that come in them sound like crap & just the simple magnet change in those can make a big improvement.

Black58

Since I’ve had a really nice 2002 R-0 for the last 15 years, I would change the pots first. The pots they used then were just shit! Get a set of the VIP pots and a pair of good caps. Luckily mine has a matched set of 1960 Centralab 500K pots & the caps that came with them( Sprague Mylar Bees’) , you could like the sound of the BB’s with those pots, but I would suggest swapping magnets in the BB’s for Throbak A-4’s as the Chinese A-2’s or A-5’s that come in them sound like crap & just the simple magnet change in those can make a big improvement.

Chinese magnets?

TM1

Chinese magnets?
Almost every pickup maker uses Chinese made magnets, especially the ones that make a lot in volumes for production. There are a companies like Throbak, OX4, Wizz, VIP, Klein and a couple of others who have theirs cast from old formula Gibson’s. Throbak is the guy who has his made by several of Gibson’s original suppliers. Guys like Duncan, Dimarrzio, Gibson, etc. use Chinese made magnets to keep their costs down.
in my personal opinion, Jon @ Throbak has the best selection of original spec Alnico magnets. There’s a big sonic difference between say a Duncan A-5 and one of the many A-5’s Throbak offers!

thejbs

Well, I took your advice and lowered the bridge pickup. That has helped quite a bit. A lot of the harshness I was hearing is gone. Also, rolled off the vol/tone knobs, and the BB’s sound much better.

Does replacing the circuitry really make that much difference?

Black58

I forget, were the original pots in the '02s linear or audio taper? :hmm

latestarter

Almost every pickup maker uses Chinese made magnets, especially the ones that make a lot in volumes for production. There are a companies like Throbak, OX4, Wizz, VIP, Klein and a couple of others who have theirs cast from old formula Gibson’s. Throbak is the guy who has his made by several of Gibson’s original suppliers. Guys like Duncan, Dimarrzio, Gibson, etc. use Chinese made magnets to keep their costs down.
in my personal opinion, Jon @ Throbak has the best selection of original spec Alnico magnets. There’s a big sonic difference between say a Duncan A-5 and one of the many A-5’s Throbak offers!

I agree. When I had time a few years back I did extensive magnet swapping in a PAF, an Antiquity and some Pat No decals. Magnet's made a very material difference and ThroBak magnets worked the best to my ears in terms of delivering the "tone" I wanted.

Subjective, sure. But they worked for me.

El Gringo

Bravo, well said as I am a big time believer of the magic tones of Throbak pickups (SLE-101 Plus )

El Gringo

Well, I took your advice and lowered the bridge pickup. That has helped quite a bit. A lot of the harshness I was hearing is gone. Also, rolled off the vol/tone knobs, and the BB’s sound much better.

Darn right it does , as I have done in several of my guitars by getting wiring harness from MGL with 500K pots and vintage Bumble Bee caps (worth every penny )

MDent77

Hello,
This is my first post. I recently acquired a 2002 R9. It's a very nice guitar, but I don't like the pickups. Can you recommend some replacement pickups?

I'd like to keep the budget around$300, willing to go higher if necessary.

I play clean (no OD or fuzz) blues, jazz, soul,& rocknroll through a 65 Super Reverb Reissue.

Thanks

In one guitar had a nice a result with Manlius PAF humbuckers
https://www.manliusguitar.com/products/59lt-paf

Also, with the Dimarzio low output PAFs
https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/vintage-output/paf-59-bridge

E.M.

Lower the height of current pickups, adjust pole pieces. Or put in a set of OX4s (low wind A2s). They can be had for around $300.

Mr. Papa

I would encourage you to replace the wiring harness (including switch and jack) and try pickup adjustments before you buy new pickups, there are many wiring harness options out there but probably any good quality, vintage taper potentiometer will be a big help, and caps are a matter of taste but I am among those who don't hear much difference between one and the next so I am no help there. RS Guitarworks pots have been my favorite.

Also magnet swaps on your current pickups might help, I think BBs are AlNico 2? Maybe A5 neck and A3 bridge might work better for you. Or someone else might come along with a better magnet idea.