• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"The RATTLE thread"

Black58

Try picking on the open low E and lightly pushing down on each of the strings, individually, in between the bridge and tailpiece.

mdubya

You mentioned the rattle/buzz showed up after your last string change. Perhaps, a bad string or strings, like the wrap and twist at the end isn't quite right and vibrating against the underside of the tailpiece?

The rattle showed up on a string change, not the most recent. Or so I thought. It is also possible I don't notice it previously. However, the guitar is susceptible to weather changes and changes of season and so forth, so other factors have influenced the guitar over a few years. It has rattled over the course of several string changes. Initially with EB 9-42 Slinkys and now with Gibson Vintage RI 9-42.

I may try shimming the strings with an extra set of ball ends on next change.

For better or for worse (trade off) this guitar is VERY alive. The whole guitar vibrates like crazy, which, I believe provides much of its charm. A subtle hand and less OD pay dividends.

Do you get the rattle if you put the wound strings back in their original positions? I also agree with Black 58. Seems that if the B string is contacting that cover, it's going to transmit some serious vibrations.

I did slot the strings back into their factory notches today. They still rattle.

This thread made me take a closer look at the tailpiece and see how the unwound strings are hitting the edges of the tp slots. I had not looked that closely before (my vision has a rough time focusing on very small details). The photos are easier to look at than the actual guitar.

Black58

Now, the gears are turning. Good for you! :salude .. You mentioned your sight. Dude, get some glasses or "cheaters", and a GOOD flashlight. I'm not a young man anymore (51), and they're the most important tools in my kit! :ganz ... And yep, an ALIVE guitar will make all KINDS of things rattle! :rofl .. Bridge saddle screws, bridge saddles, retainer wires, loose nuts/washers on Grovers, loose nuts/washers on strap locks, the ground wire against a pot casing, bad string/end wraps, the neck pickup against the mounting ring ... I've got a REAL good one, currently: Something inside the bridge pickup volume pot! Certain notes on the low E and that thing buzzes like a bitch! If I press down on the knob, it stops! It isn't the knob, or that U clip at the base of the shaft, nor the wiring and wiring tabs. :hmm

mdubya

Now, the gears are turning. Good for you! :salude .. You mentioned your sight. Dude, get some glasses or "cheaters", and a GOOD flashlight. I'm not a young man anymore (51), and they're the most important tools in my kit! :ganz ... And yep, an ALIVE guitar will make all KINDS of things rattle! :rofl .. Bridge saddle screws, bridge saddles, retainer wires, loose nuts/washers on Grovers, loose nuts/washers on strap locks, the ground wire against a pot casing, bad string/end wraps, the neck pickup against the mounting ring ... I've got a REAL good one, currently: Something inside the bridge pickup volume pot! Certain notes on the low E and that thing buzzes like a bitch! If I press down on the knob, it stops! It isn't the knob, or that U clip at the base of the shaft, nor the wiring and wiring tabs. :hmm

I've got the readers (+1.50) but I need something stronger for really small stuff. I live away from my home currently (caring for a family member and working out of town) so I don't have all of my resources so easily handy. I'll have to pop for some +3.00 glasses so I can really see the small stuff.

Wheels are turning indeed!

Last evening I plucked individual strings and used my fingers to damp the strings at the tailpiece. To my surprise, this did not mute the rattle at all! But I had my ear near the guitar. I could hear it in the F hole and all up and down the trapeze. And being that close to the guitar, I could hear a bit of string/fret buzz.

2 things:

1. I stuffed the velvet bag under the base of the trapeze which had as much effect as using it under the string slots. :hmm

2. I removed the velvet bag altogether and raised the string action until the fret buzz stopped. :doh

While the guitar is far from silent, this solved the excessive rattle. The fret buzz was transmitting through the length of the trapeze and echoing/amplifying through though hollow of the guitar and out the F-hole. Wow. I usually have a little bit of fret buzz, nothing excessive, but damn.

I assume that between weather changes and the bridge moving during a string change and cleaning, this is how this annoying rattle appeared.

The action is just a little higher than perfect and I have a little bit of room for a truss rod adjustment, but the excessive rattle has been solved. No more velvet bag.

And I have been playing the 330 like crazy the last few days while contemplating the nature of the rattle. Good fun.

Thanks, guys, for challenging me to look at everything trying to determine the source of the rattle. :dude::dude::dude:

Black58

I've got the readers (+1.50) but I need something stronger for really small stuff. I live away from my home currently (caring for a family member and working out of town) so I don't have all of my resources so easily handy. I'll have to pop for some +3.00 glasses so I can really see the small stuff.

Wheels are turning indeed!

Last evening I plucked individual strings and used my fingers to damp the strings at the tailpiece. To my surprise, this did not mute the rattle at all! But I had my ear near the guitar. I could hear it in the F hole and all up and down the trapeze. And being that close to the guitar, I could hear a bit of string/fret buzz.

2 things:

1. I stuffed the velvet bag under the base of the trapeze which had as much effect as using it under the string slots. :hmm

2. I removed the velvet bag altogether and raised the string action until the fret buzz stopped. :doh

While the guitar is far from silent, this solved the excessive rattle. The fret buzz was transmitting through the length of the trapeze and echoing/amplifying through though hollow of the guitar and out the F-hole. Wow. I usually have a little bit of fret buzz, nothing excessive, but damn.

I assume that between weather changes and the bridge moving during a string change and cleaning, this is how this annoying rattle appeared.

The action is just a little higher than perfect and I have a little bit of room for a truss rod adjustment, but the excessive rattle has been solved. No more velvet bag.

And I have been playing the 330 like crazy the last few days while contemplating the nature of the rattle. Good fun.

Thanks, guys, for challenging me to look at everything trying to determine the source of the rattle. :dude::dude::dude:

Congrats, and enjoy! :salude

boogie92801

My 63 335 has a rattle on cold mornings (it sounds like its the rod at the 3 fret), its sympathetic to "g" at some spots (not all). its not always there either. The neck is straight and there is tension on the rod for sure because I play with 11's.

I don't think I hear it through the amp but on a Saturday mooring with a cup of joe its annoying to blissfully be playing and here an occasional "zing"....

Monroe

Have you thought of trying strings with a silk wrap on the ball end?
Pyramid Maximum Performance series offers this, and I'm sure there are others.