• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1980 TOKAI LOVE ROCK?? PLEASE HELP...

Tigerheart

Hello there... This is my very first post in this forum.
I want to ask about this guitar right here:
wDUrQe.jpg

UnUJpG.jpg

nFBMtE.jpg

pNlIB5.jpg

p2r6qw.jpg

My brother at Netherlands bought this 2nd handed guitar there, changed the broken machine head and knobs, but he haven't played much since he bought her (He is actually a Bass Player).
Then after a few times, he said to me that I can have her if I want...
He said she is a 1980 Tokai Love Rock, and equipped with some gotoh pickups

I want to ask you guys here whether she is an Original Japanese Made Tokai Love Rock or not?
And what can I do to fix her?? since I spotted some broken piece on her (The Cracked Neck Binding, the broken nut at treble side)...
Also, what you guys think about the neck? is it Warped or twisted?? or she will be fine after I fix her up?
I'm willing to pay as much as I can to fix her up if it is worth to fix her...

Thank you so much before...
Please, Please help me...

Zentar

Ive restored old guitars and I know you can easily put too much money into a guitar. Set a budget. Don't put $600 into a $400 guitar.
Yes that is an original Tokia from Japan. They are hot stuff to some folks.
I can't see if the neck is straight but the binding can easily be repaired.
I would ditch those pickups. They use 44awg coil wire and can be muddy sounding.
The machine heads are ok. They wont need replacing

For instance a luthier will install a new nut for $30 and repair binding for about the same.

duaneflowers

Looks good to me... are there any numbers stamped in the last fret? That will tell you the model number (and general value) if there is, there is a pretty big difference between the going rates for LS-60s and LS-120s.

If 't'were mine I'd change the pickups and the harness (as I've done in both of my '80 Tokais) but I wouldn't worry about the binding or tuners unless they bothered me. You can take it to a luthier to ask what it would cost to restore it (and if the neck is straight) and then you decide if its worth it.

Either way its a nice guitar!! :salude

Tigerheart

Thank you so much for all of your replies!!
I haven't get my hands on the guitar yet and I sure hope she will be fine with some fixes

It worries my a lot to see a damage on her headstock that she might have a twisted neck since they said twisted guitar neck will be a lot of pain to repair...

as for the pickups change, any suggestion for what a Vintage guitar should use? (She now has a pair of Gotoh Pickups)
l'd like to have an old school rock sound~

Once again, thank you for your replies!!

Zentar

You want humbucker recommendations? LOL! You will regret that. You may receive a hundred hints.
Get some PAF modern copies. Start on Ebay. Lotta folks change stock pickups and sell them.

duaneflowers

Thank you so much for all of your replies!!
I haven't get my hands on the guitar yet and I sure hope she will be fine with some fixes

It worries my a lot to see a damage on her headstock that she might have a twisted neck since they said twisted guitar neck will be a lot of pain to repair...

as for the pickups change, any suggestion for what a Vintage guitar should use? (She now has a pair of Gotoh Pickups)
l'd like to have an old school rock sound~

Once again, thank you for your replies!!

Seymour Duncan Antiquities or Seth Lovers is probably a decent place to start... but if you ask 100 people you're gonna get 100 different recommendations... :salude

c_wester

I have had a lot of Vintage Tokais from 1983-1985 also the simplest models(Ls50-Ls60 LC55 and Ls80) , and that did not mean anything the sustain and brightness were there.

I would NOT change the pots as they are far better than anything I have have found from the expensive end of pottery sellers...
Also every Tokai I have had have totally smoked my best Historics.

I know everyone does not agree with me.
Still this is my experience and I have no Dog in this race whatsoever im just sharing my experience.

Also, Tokai Pickups are also killer! If there is something to mention about them is they are weak.
But they do have great tone.

As I said this is my experience and im not about to argue about tone.

duaneflowers

I have had a lot of Vintage Tokais from 1983-1985 also the simplest models(Ls50-Ls60 LC55 and Ls80) , and that did not mean anything the sustain and brightness were there.

I would NOT change the pots as they are far better than anything I have have found from the expensive end of pottery sellers...
Also every Tokai I have had have totally smoked my best Historics.

I know everyone does not agree with me.
Still this is my experience and I have no Dog in this race whatsoever im just sharing my experience.

Also, Tokai Pickups are also killer! If there is something to mention about them is they are weak.
But they do have great tone.

As I said this is my experience and im not about to argue about tone.

Both of my '80s had flimsy PCB boards with green chicklet caps... and they SUCKED!!! I also wasn't a fan of the Dimarzio pups that came in the LS-120... I grew out of Dimarzios when I was 18... and the Tokai pups in the LS-80 also SUCKED!!!! My new(ish) 2014 Tokai LS-LTD used MIJ Pots... which was far superior to the PCB... but still got yanked before too long...

So it is indeed all very subjective...

39638059_10216152833710155_6529103867701886976_n.jpg

c_wester

Both of my '80s had flimsy PCB boards with green chicklet caps... and they SUCKED!!! I also wasn't a fan of the Dimarzio pups that came in the LS-120... I grew out of Dimarzios when I was 18... and the Tokai pups in the LS-80 also SUCKED!!!! My new(ish) 2014 Tokai LS-LTD used MIJ Pots... which was far superior to the PCB... but still got yanked before too long...

So it is indeed all very subjective...

39638059_10216152833710155_6529103867701886976_n.jpg

Those are not original at all.
Im goint to try dig up a picture IF I have one.

Im sorry I have one here but its just to much work while drinking whiskey.

Also nobody cares... play whatever you want.

duaneflowers

Those are not original at all.
Im goint to try dig up a picture IF I have one.

Im sorry I have one here but its just to much work while drinking whiskey.

Also nobody cares... play whatever you want.

They are 100% original... I bought it new and picked it up from the shop myself...

c_wester

They are 100% original... I bought it new and picked it up from the shop myself...

We are talking about vintage Tokais.
I also had a new one from ca 2002 and that was a piece of shampoop.

What year is the one you are picturing?

duaneflowers

We are talking about vintage Tokais.
I also had a new one from ca 2002 and that was a piece of shampoop.

What year is the one you are picturing?

Its clearly marked as a 2014 and you were replying to the picture... which is, again, 100% original.

c_wester

Its clearly marked as a 2014 and you were replying to the picture... which is, again, 100% original.

I really like the Old ones.
The new ones I would be very suspicious of as I don't think they have the wood required anymore.

JLee

My ‘81 Tokai ES100J has great stock pots and pickups. Don’t feel any need at all to replace them. I have higher end pots and pickups, VIP, Creamtone CTS, Throbak PG102, ReWind Low Winds, OX4 and have owned MSSC, RS harnesses. Also have vintage Bees and Black Beauties.

Also own 2 early 80s LSs, a 120 and 80. Neither came to me stock, unfortunately.

Tigerheart

I finally got my hands on her~
Here she is
jBLrCh.jpg

xkkyZo.jpg

9nMPn8.jpg

She got a lot of small dents, broken nut and broken neck binding... She was really really dirty too...
After my bro gave her to me, I took her to a local Luthier and pay around $50 to fix her up
Now she plays amazing, she sounds amazing, and she is BEAUTIFUL!!
Thank you so much guys for your advises!!

ezra1

Years ago in about 75 I bought a 68 Les Paul Custom with a poor headstock repair. I was inexperienced and traded it off a few years later but I loved the sound but not so much the fretless wonder frets.
Flash forward to about 2012 and I got interested in MIJ guitars. I bought a 1978 Tokai Les Paul Reborn.
Replaced the pots and went with 50s wiring and a set of WCR Darkburst pickups.
The guitar is awesome and I worked in a vintage shop and did shows. The guitar held it's own IMO with some Vintage Lester's.
It started a love affair. I have since had Orville by Gibson 335s, Heritage 85 H-150 with WCR Darkburst , Custom built H-150 and H-535 ,a History Les Paul, a Gibson Classic w Soapbars and a 2013 R9 with Custom Buckers.
The R9 and the Tokai are the two I use the most.
None of them are bad but those 2 got a little something extra.