• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Two P90 Sizzle

corpse

I have 2 P90's on a guitar with a tele control package. I have started to hear a quiet sizzle, even straight into the amp. I don't see any loose soldered work by the control knobs or switch. Any idea what else I might look for?

corpse

Yep- comes through with quiet playing- background crackle/sizzle only notable during quit bits.

corpse

After some keen observation and probing with thumbs, I was able to get it playing again at full volume, but any messing with the knob caused the volume to drop right off. I hit it with more deoxit and am waiting for it to dry out a bit.
Deoxit is a bit of "cure it or kill it" I have found with pots. I think this was the latter.

renderit

I have had very good luck with it on old (as in 59) pots on my Junior and several others. I always 'blow it out' with canned air when done. Put a paper towel loosely over it though 'cause I'm not sure what it will do to finish.

Sounds like you might have a short though. I'd reflow those joints myself.

corpse

Never say die.
Banker said to send him a pic of the control package and I noticed how close the shielded volume wire came to the cloth covered lead on the switch. It was touching the tab when they were installed in the cavity. Some electrical tape and I am back annoying the cat and family.