• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

vintage ABR-1 bridge - Late 50s no wire

computron

I want to buy vintage ABR-1 bridge for my 2010 Les paul Custom '54RI. However, I can now only get the bridge itself, not the wheel.

Will the lack of mounting wheel be a problem ? Should I get both or no need or I can get some other vintage wheel later ?

If anyone can share their experiences that would be much appreciated.

Black58

I want to buy vintage ABR-1 bridge for my 2010 Les paul Custom '54RI. However, I can now only get the bridge itself, not the wheel.

Will the lack of mounting wheel be a problem ? Should I get both or no need or I can get some other vintage wheel later ?

If anyone can share their experiences that would be much appreciated.

I would try to find a vintage set, or at least a good pair of reproductions. They are an important part of the bridge equation, especially since the ones that came on that guitar are VERY far from vintage-correct! :)

sidekick

Seems to me a decent repro '50's period ABR-1 bridge, thumb screws and posts should be okay for a 2010 CS historic reissue. Not sure that many are, (if any) are available in gold/aged gold though.

computron

I would try to find a vintage set, or at least a good pair of reproductions. They are an important part of the bridge equation, especially since the ones that came on that guitar are VERY far from vintage-correct! :)

yeah that's why I am gonna buy a bridge. But I cant find a complete set, I got only the housing with saddles and screws. If buying only bridge without thumb screws and posts will make a difference, I will buy the bridge. Otherwise I will look for complete set.

It has factory installed bigsby also, so I dont need the tail also.

Black58

Seems to me a decent repro '50's period ABR-1 bridge, thumb screws and posts should be okay for a 2010 CS historic reissue. Not sure that many are, (if any) are available in gold/aged gold though.

Perhaps he watched that clip of Johan S. on the the 'Tube, comparing ABRs; Specifically, the shootout between an original 50's and an '08 Historic. ... If that's the case, then I can kinda see his point, because that clip certainly got my gears going! :wow

computron

Perhaps he watched that clip of Johan S. on the the 'Tube, comparing ABRs; Specifically, the shootout between an original 50's and an '08 Historic. ... If that's the case, then I can kinda see his point, because that clip certainly got my gears going! :wow

haha I saw those yet my hunger for vintagizing my guitar is way before seeing it. actually I always choose my guitars acoustically first, then plug into a fender blackface amp if it sounds good then into marshall amp and test the electric sound. I am very pleased with my 54 acoustically, huge sustain and great resonance. But acoustically the tone needs to be tighter and the vintage warm treble should be there, but I cant quite get it, Im obsessed over these stuff. Then I started checking for early 50s p90s and 50s early 60s bridges to get the sound first acoustically then electrically.

Black58

Retrospec has nice, vintage-correct wheel sets. That's where I got mine. :jim

computron

Retrospec has nice, vintage-correct wheel sets. That's where I got mine. :jim

thank for the advice, let me check those. I can combine them with vintage abr-1 maybe.

By the way did you notice difference ? have you performed any before&after tests ?

Black58

haha I saw those yet my hunger for vintagizing my guitar is way before seeing it. actually I always choose my guitars acoustically first, then plug into a fender blackface amp if it sounds good then into marshall amp and test the electric sound. I am very pleased with my 54 acoustically, huge sustain and great resonance. But acoustically the tone needs to be tighter and the vintage warm treble should be there, but I cant quite get it, Im obsessed over these stuff. Then I started checking for early 50s p90s and 50s early 60s bridges to get the sound first acoustically then electrically.

You mentioned "the tone needs to be tighter and the vintage warm treble should be there". .. DUDE, before you buy the bridge, BUY THE WHEEL SET, FIRST! I got a HUGE amount of difference, just by changing the wheel set! I'd hate to see you waste money on a bridge, if a less expensive wheel set solves the problem. :ganz

computron

You mentioned "the tone needs to be tighter and the vintage warm treble should be there". .. DUDE, before you buy the bridge, BUY THE WHEEL SET, FIRST! I got a HUGE amount of difference, just by changing the wheel set! I'd hate to see you waste money on a bridge, if a less expensive wheel set solves the problem. :ganz

thanks for the advice again. I will check that also.

And share some sound clips when I got those.

Last edited: