• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pot lugs loose -problem?

michaelb

Can there be an "electronic" problem if a lug is loose on a pot. Why I ask? I have 50's wiring yet my middle selector is virtually useless. The sound is exactly the same as the bridge PU. The neck PU vol/tone controls do not interact at all in the middle position. There is a loose lug, it wiggles a little. This may have happened after some expermentation and desoldering/resoldering.

Anyway Im trying to rule out problems. All connections are good, good grounds.

Or could it be a faulty selector switch.......faulty in the middle selection? I do have another switchcraft

Guitar sounds good in bridge position and neck position but useless in middle position

Any ideas?

Mars Hall

Can there be an "electronic" problem if a lug is loose on a pot. Why I ask? I have 50's wiring yet my middle selector is virtually useless. The sound is exactly the same as the bridge PU. The neck PU vol/tone controls do not interact at all in the middle position. There is a loose lug, it wiggles a little. This may have happened after some expermentation and desoldering/resoldering.

Or could it be a faulty selector switch.......faulty in the middle selection? I do have another switchcraft

Guitar sounds good in bridge position and neck position but useless in middle position

Any ideas?

It is most likely possible that the selector switch is not making contact with both pickups in the middle position.

PaulD

It is most likely possible that the selector switch is not making contact with both pickups in the middle position.

I think this is unlikely, assuming the switch is a standard Gibson type the switch works by breaking the connection to the pickup not in use when the switch is moved up or down from the center position. If it was not making contact in the center position then it would also not be making contact when the pickup was selected on it's own, i.e. the pickup would not work at all.

Any ideas?

As for the pot lug being loose, again if this were the problem it would not just affect the middle position, it would also cause a problem with just the one pickup selected.

With respect, as this is the third thread you have started which all seem to relate to the electrics on this guitar perhaps it is time to get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it? Guitar electrics are quite simple and someone who understands them and knows what they are doing should be able to find the fault in a matter of minutes with nothing more than a multi-meter but to try and diagnose a fault without having the guitar in hand can often be difficult.

michaelb

Well PaulD that is my last resort. I have an interest in doing things myself within reason. I did talk to a reputable tech near where I live and he said when I’ve had enough bring it in. So I am. I will post here in the near future with the solution. Thanks to all

Cream Fan

Have the switch checked. It might only need to have one of the metal leaves bent a little to make the contact firmer. This happened to me when I switched out the offshore parts on an Epiphone Iommi SG with American-made parts. The Switchcraft switch worked fine on either the neck or bridge pickup. In the middle position I discovered that the neck pickup was not connected and I was only hearing the bridge pickup. I took it to my tech and it took him maybe all of five minutes to fix it. Works flawlessly now.

michaelb

Cream fan, me too, my last resort is to deal with the switch. Like I said I have another switch. So I will
look at the switch with a magnifying glass, a very helpful tool, or replace the switch. My soldering skills are above average so that’s not the problem....it’s knowledge base. That’s why I’m here. If this doesn’t work then it’s to the tech.

michaelb

To Mars Hall,Cream Fan and PaulD I checked all my connections, grounds and solder joints and finally I removed the Switchcraft switch and replaced it with another Switchcraft switch. Jeeze PaulD THAT was the big problem. Sounds great, bright and beautiful in the middle position with all its nuances. And I got an added bonus of no hum......dead quiet. It sounds the best ever.