• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

P90 Goldtop Standard (50's) - Anyone in the UK able to help?

pjisaacs

Hi

I've got a fair few Gibsons (53/59 Standard conversion, 72 Custom, 62 Special, 64 SG Standard, 67 330, 60 Junior etc) - but the one itch I have (which would mean I'd need to sell some of these) is a 50s Goldtop with P90s.

Problem is, I just don't know if this is a. affordable (UK market is not entirely liquid) and b. is more a dream, and when I play one I just don't like it.

Are there any owners in the UK (I'm in London) able to privately help out? Basically advice, maybe a meet up something like that?

Cheers

Pete

pjisaacs

Thanks - that 'French' one looks great, sold though - perfect (or even with a trapeze bridge) idea.

Rob - thanks for the heads up on the ATB one, I know it's got the better bridge - but that's quite the break for £22k! Might see how much wriggle room Mike has

Would love to talk to some current owners etc.

rob livesey

Thanks - that 'French' one looks great, sold though - perfect (or even with a trapeze bridge) idea.

Rob - thanks for the heads up on the ATB one, I know it's got the better bridge - but that's quite the break for £22k! Might see how much wriggle room Mike has

Would love to talk to some current owners etc.

I think there's always wriggle room, and Mike will take trades. Like he says on the site, and unrepaired example would be a lot more money, and if the break is repaired well and stable, it wouldn't bother me too much.

Good luck,
Rob.

Patek

Mike has some flexibility. Definitely my favourite guitar dealer I’ve ever dealt with in the world

if that 56 didn’t have a neck break it would be about £10k more expensive.

I live in london and have a 53/54 les paul Goldtop stock I bought earlier this year. Happy to answer any questions you have about prices etc

MeHereNow

That's a head scratcher. :hmm

Do you know who this guy is?

The site advertising it is owned by a Trader from Apeldoorn Netherlands, he's been around for a while while the seller apparently lives in germany nord rein westfalen part.
That's all i know Tom.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The site advertising it is owned by a Trader from Apeldoorn Netherlands, he's been around for a while while the seller apparently lives in germany nord rein westfalen part.
That's all i know Tom.

Well, it's got to be worth a dollar extra anyway. :hippy

Tomorrow at my shop I'll look through my index cards. :spabout

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
So, that UK 56 was not one I ever had in my possession.
IF I "owned" it, it never came to me but was a momentary quirk in a complicated deal. :)

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
And the german 'RJV' GT?
Or shall we the german 'Golddecke'? :salude

Apparently this was just a misunderstanding on who formerly owned it. The owner told the seller the correct name, but somehow it got changed to my name. Should be corrected soon.
And to be clear, it was never mine in any way.
All good. :salude

lewis_grey

There’s a beat to hell ‘56 on Guitar Avenue’s (Gary Winterflood) site, I spoke to him the other day and it was recently sold but the guy who bought it is apparently notorious for flipping guitars quickly and he expects to see it back in a few months. Might be worth a call, could get you ahead of the game when something comes up.

The ‘56 in question looked super cool, no breaks as far as I know, just LOADS of play wear. I think it was low £20k’s.

MeHereNow

Apparently this was just a misunderstanding on who formerly owned it. The owner told the seller the correct name, but somehow it got changed to my name. Should be corrected soon.
And to be clear, it was never mine in any way.
All good. :salude

Maybe the name of the former owner was Witzstein..
And then the add was translated from german to english and .. well.. :salude

pjisaacs

Thanks for the GuitarAvenue idea, have emailed them.

There's an Allgold refin at Guitarpoint, not sure on a refin at that price point - anyone any experience of them?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Maybe the name of the former owner was Witzstein..
And then the add was translated from german to english and .. well.. :salude

Apparently Tom's brother?

Yes, the corrected web page now says it was from my brother.
[and our last name is German, not English :ganz]

But here's something that should be understood ....

Just because I owned a guitar does not mean everything is perfect or original. I have had a vintage guitar store for over 40 years [and my brother for over 45 years] and I have had many altered and non-original guitars go through my hands. [like virtually all vintage dealers]
Even as a collector I have had [and still have] altered and/or non-original pieces.
So, adding my name as some kind of guarantee that the guitar must be "right" is silly.

For this particular guitar I would bet it is as straight as possible [I haven't really gone over it], so my statement above is not specifically about this guitar.
It is likely a great example of a 56 GT and anyone interested in such a guitar should definitely consider this one.
:salude