• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Not a 1952 Prototype, but this goldtop is pretty.

Nick21

No affiliation.

My kind of guitar.

Gibson Les Paul 7-11-52 Distressed Gold Top https://applink.reverb.com/item/14337658-gibson-les-paul-7-11-52-distressed-gold-top
7417314b-8307-4fb5-abd4-bc713d9cf114

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Oh, so soon people will come piling on and say what's wrong with it:)

Well, that happens all the time. As we recently saw with a Burst. :ganz

But that's not my intention.
After all, it apparently has a 1957 serial number that matches the 57 P-90 Goldtops era.

But, I'm no expert. :salude

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Oh, so soon people will come piling on and say what's wrong with it:)

Just as the X-15 researched technologies that would go into the Space Shuttle, obviously this is a highly experimental advance prototype Tune-o-matic bridge equipped 1952 Les Paul.
smiley_emoticon.gif

Cody

Well, it does seem to have a shadow of a trapeze tailpiece, and the pickguard looks consistent with a trapeze-era goldtop.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Well, it does seem to have a shadow of a trapeze tailpiece, and the pickguard looks consistent with a trapeze-era goldtop.

I'm just surprised there's no details of the conversion process in the Reverb description.

fakejake

After all, it apparently has a 1957 serial number that matches the 57 P-90 Goldtops era.

Would be a nice price for a '57.... :hmm

Frutiger

+1. You can also see where the trapeze feet have marked the top. Looks like it has a Nashville bridge and repro stoptail too.

El Gringo

Tom you are so humble .

mistersnappy

If we could see where a trapeze tailpiece might've been screwed in, it would probably show evidence of holes.

mdubya

I am not much for the Iconography or the Grovers, but the headstock and fretboard... :XRE

lkzysl2gx6yphvwaayy0.jpg

LeonC

Neither Magnatone nor Fender nor Hasbro were using those kinds of knobs in 1952!! :hee

Also, whatever the bridge is, it looks like you'll need to move it anyway, if you want it to intonate properly.

LarryN

Looks possible to me that it's a 52. The speed knob is tall, tailpiece marks, tuneomatic a bit straight. Without a side shot for neck angle, it's hard to tell. Serial number is a bit odd, though.