• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

No problems with my Les Paul going out of tune. Luck or Set Up?

Wiggy1956

Since buying my Historic 58 Standard I've learnt that Les Pauls are prone to going out of tune,. especially the G string after large bends. I've had no such trouble with mine. Am I just lucky or are Custom Shop models just set up better?

Tim Plains

What year?

2009/newet historics have nylon nuts, which is much better than corian. Corian nuts are the heart of most Gibson tuning issues. Even with corian nuts, I would take a file to them and use powdered graphite in the grooves. That, and with properly stretching strings, I can't say I've come across many Gibsons that wouldn't stay in tune.

Wiggy1956

What year?

2009/newet historics have nylon nuts, which is much better than corian. Corian nuts are the heart of most Gibson tuning issues. Even with corian nuts, I would take a file to them and use powdered graphite in the grooves. That, and with properly stretching strings, I can't say I've come across many Gibsons that wouldn't stay in tune.

Hi Tim. It's a brand new 2018 with a nylon nut. It's pretty rock solid, although I don't gig for the first time until Friday. So far so good though.

Black58

With properly stretched strings, neither of my R8s (1997 and 2009) go out of tune. :)

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Since buying my Historic 58 Standard I've learnt that Les Pauls are prone to going out of tune,. especially the G string after large bends. I've had no such trouble with mine. Am I just lucky or are Custom Shop models just set up better?

I virtually never have tuning problems, with any of my Les Pauls.
In your case it is partly a good set up, and you stringing and tuning correctly. [a lot of people don't :ganz]

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Since buying my Historic 58 Standard I've learnt that Les Pauls are prone to going out of tune,. especially the G string after large bends.

Just to clarify more, this is primarily caused by "operator difficulty" and not the guitar. :ganz

filtersweep

Just to clarify more, this is primarily caused by "operator difficulty" and not the guitar. :ganz

Not true at all. Production Gibsons have dreadful nuts that bind, combined with the odd angles that are unique to Gibson. I floss them with a bit of abrasive string when if I have issues- and I had issues for my three production Gibsons. My R8 was also going out of tune- but I bought it used with old strings. I flossed the slots and put new strings on, and it is all good.

MeHereNow

My R8 was also going out of tune- but I bought it used with old strings. I flossed the slots and put new strings on, and it is all good.

So the previous R8's owner did'nt take care of the build-up grime which causes the "ping.." & "screeech.." and the few Hz off after a bend.
Isn't that a direct derivative of his inabbilty to "operate" his guitar properly?
In other words: keeping his guitar set-up so, that it won't have issues?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
In your case it is partly a good set up, and you stringing and tuning correctly. [a lot of people don't :ganz]

Not true at all. Production Gibsons have dreadful nuts that bind, combined with the odd angles that are unique to Gibson. I floss them with a bit of abrasive string when if I have issues- and I had issues for my three production Gibsons. My R8 was also going out of tune- but I bought it used with old strings. I flossed the slots and put new strings on, and it is all good.

You missed the "clarify more" part. I already mentioned set up plus other operator responsibilities.
Your example seems to confirm my statements.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
So the previous R8's owner did'nt take care of the build-up grime which causes the "ping.." & "screeech.." and the few Hz off after a bend.
Isn't that a direct derivative of his inabbilty to "operate" his guitar properly?
In other words: keeping his guitar set-up so, that it won't have issues?

Exactly.
Even if Gibson does a poor job on set up, it merely needs proper attention and maintenance that any guitar owner should expect to do over time.

iloveguitars79

With properly stretched strings, neither of my R8s (1997 and 2009) go out of tune. :)

Agreed. I hardly ever have to retune on any of my guitars, even the cheap junkers. The key is:

A) Rub some pencil graphite in the nut string grooves.
B) Put the strings on properly. I use one wrap over and 2-3 wraps under the hole.
C) Stretch the strings and retune. I do this 3 times before playing.

Voila! :hank

Black58

Agreed. I hardly ever have to retune on any of my guitars, even the cheap junkers. The key is:

A) Rub some pencil graphite in the nut string grooves.
B) Put the strings on properly. I use one wrap over and 2-3 wraps under the hole.
C) Stretch the strings and retune. I do this 3 times before playing.

Voila! :hank

Mix a lil Chap-Stik in with that pencil graphite, brother, and it'll stay in there better and longer! :)

Wiggy1956

Thanks to all for your really helpful comments. I restrung my guitar yesterday incorporating the posted thoughts and gig it for the first time today. Wish me luck!!!:)

Joe Boy

You know it's a Les Paul when...hair messed up, tired and tossed from last night, when you set up and..
...go to check your tuning...:dude:...let's do this!