• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

No neck vol/tone when in middle selector switch

michaelb

Help! When my middle selector switch is activated there is only the treble PU sound, the same sound if on the treble selector.. Its as if my middle switch is not recognizing the neck PU. So, I can not produce any "blended" tones using my volume and tone knobs.

Now I have been doing some soldering.

First, my bridge PU has some kind of short when I place the cover on only. When I take the cover off there is sound. I have been experimenting with different magnets so Ive been pulling PU's to change the magnets.

Second, I discovered that I had wired my LP with the PU braided wire, I am supposed to have 50's wiring, on the middle lugs along with the caps and the braided switch wire on the outside lugs.

So I changed them around.....placing the switch braided wire to the middle lugs with the caps and the PU braided wire to the outside lugs. Now I have no middle selector blended tones only the bridge/treble volume/tone.. Ive checked all connections and am scratching my head. Suggestions?

chasenblues

Second, I discovered that I had wired my LP with the PU braided wire, I am supposed to have 50's wiring, on the middle lugs along with the caps and the braided switch wire on the outside lugs.

So I changed them around.....placing the switch braided wire to the middle lugs with the caps and the PU braided wire to the outside lugs. Now I have no middle selector blended tones only the bridge/treble volume/tone.. Ive checked all connections and am scratching my head. Suggestions?

Post a good clear picture of the wiring in the control cavity.

michaelb

Sorry i'm not familiar doing this stuff. Simply: one selector switch wire goes to middle lug (along with cap) of each volume pot and the the other switch wire goes to jack.

The PU wire goes to outside lug of each volume pot

There is a ground wire connecting all 4 pots

There is the ground bare wire from inside guitar (connected to post) connected to neck PU volume pot

This is supposed to be 50's wiring.

I could put pic on Facebook

I thought it could be the switch but it works fine on the rhythm and treble selector but will not acknowledge the neck in the middle position which is odd. If a cloth wire was slightly melted exposing some wire to ground out wouldn't you think the PU wouldn't work in either position?

michaelb

Not sure if that worked

chasenblues.....I like the old fleetwood mac too. I see your quote. Just found out Danny Kirwan died June 8

marshall1987

Given the degree to which you seem to be struggling with the electronics on your guitar, why don't you take it to a qualified guitar tech?

michaelb

The above photo looks like my setup. As if things couldn't get stranger, without doing anything, now the neck PU works in the mid position but the treble volume is very low. Its like it flipped.

I have another switchcraft selector toggle switch and am thinking about changing this out to see if this would help. Other than that I am wondering if all of this is affected by my original treble PU problem that shorts out when the cover is on.

Anyway, this is my last resort.

Also wondering if I could have overheated the cloth cover under the ground braid. But you would think it would short out in any position

michaelb

chasenblues did you wire your switch to middle lugs and your PU wires to the outside lugs? Why I ask is that’s what I did. I partially fixed my problem after finding a very small “slit” in the cloth insulation and fixing it. I had to use a magnifying glass.

Now I have this problem, I have very little options with the middle selector switch. If both PU’s are on 10 only the treble PU is noticeable. If I turn the treble to 0 then I hear the rhythm PU. In the past I had the wiring switched with the PU’s wired to middle lug and the switch to the outside lug and my middle selector had tons of tone and options. What gives?