• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pick up swap.... and now bridge and middle position do not work. wtf?

Supernova

Hi- first time post.....and I appreciate the membership. In a nutshell, I replaced the neck pup, with another. didn't really care for....so swapped back. now, the middle and bridge positions have no output. i carefully solder and unsolder one dang wire.... what the heck?! LOL

It appears that ALL the braided cables, the pup leads and from selector swtch…..have good grounds. wonder what the heck coulda happened? Any ideas how to check other stuff and find the problem, i'd really appreciate the help. Thank you

PaulD

It sounds as though the bridge pickup could be shorting to ground somewhere, that would cause the bridge and middle positions to not work. If you have a multi-meter check for continuity between where the bridge pickup wire connects to the pot and ground, there should be no continuity.

Supernova

hey, you're right! got a short to ground! I wonder if when I soldered the braid to the pot......I burned through the black insulation or something?

PaulD

A good look around under a good light, with a magnifying glass if you have one, can often show things up. Another common fault is shorts between the braided shield and the conductor where they are soldered to the pots, too much heat when soldering them can sometimes melt through the insulation causing a short. These are difficult to see but again testing with a multi-meter can find them.

PaulD

Ah glad you found it - you beat me to it and posted while I was typing my last message!

Supernova

lol--- i got continuity from lug 3 to ground- brdg pup...... and ….lug2 to ground- cable from switch . yep lookin with my trusty magnfy glass. But first thing is first-----makin fresh coffee for this next trouble shooting phase!! :p

PaulD

lol--- i got continuity from lug 3 to ground- brdg pup...... and ….lug2 to ground- cable from switch . yep lookin with my trusty magnfy glass. But first thing is first-----makin fresh coffee for this next trouble shooting phase!! :p

Check for continuity on both lugs to ground with the volume pot set to zero, if the vol is set to 10 lugs 2 & 3 are effectively connected together so a short on one wire would show up on both, it may be that only one of them is shorted.

Supernova

looks like I got it sorted out! I musta had a strand of the braid touching the conductor. I removed it from the lug, and "cleaned" up the situation. Made sure the braid wasn't making contact, etc. we're back to rockin out! Thanks very much for your help, PaulD!! You the man-

PaulD

You're welcome, glad you sorted it out and welcome to the forum by the way!

gibson-r8

I don't know how many times I have done this (wire up a LP or even a Strat for that matter) and it always takes me a while to make it work. Stupid electricity..