The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Famous musicians with LP Traditional

Hi everyone, thanks for having me in your LP community.

I am just wondering why I have never heard or seen a famous musician with LP Traditional? If you came across anyone apart from yourself , please let us know.
    Last edited by DylanLP; 08-09-18 at 04:03 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Famous musicians with LP Traditional

You could just consider it a Standard and that list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by 440hz View Post
    You could just consider it a Standard and that list is endless.
    But the traditionals and standards are two different models ;)

Quote Originally Posted by DylanLP View Post
    But the traditionals and standards are two different models ;)
    So? The Traditional is a Standard. It is a Les Paul Standard Traditional made, supposedly, like late 80's-90's Standards and basically is a Standard without the modern upgrades. I'm sure plenty of pro players use one, but a roll call shouldn't matter at all.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    So? The Traditional is a Standard. It is a Les Paul Standard Traditional made, supposedly, like late 80's-90's Standards and basically is a Standard without the modern upgrades. I'm sure plenty of pro players use one, but a roll call shouldn't matter at all.
    Interesting good to know. So when the traditional models started? But I haven’t seen any famous musician holding a guitar with a ‘traditional’ truss rod cover.

I can't remember the year but it's a recent variation.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanLP View Post
    Interesting good to know. So when the traditional models started? But I haven’t seen any famous musician holding a guitar with a ‘traditional’ truss rod cover.
    There are alot of famous guys that just have a blank truss rod cover .... so its a secret lol.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    This is correct. I'm old enough to remember that the current "Traditional" model is in fact what the LP Standard was for decades. I'm not sure of the year, but Gibson added all the split coil switching and other modern refinements and it became the new "Standard" model. So a Traditional truly is (was) a Standard. On that basis, and to answer your question, countless artists play LP Standards. As far as the current "Traditional" goes, I don't know what year it was actually introduced but I would wager that tons of artists are plying it as well.

In Early 2008 you could buy either a 50s or 60s necked Standard with a chambered body. The new " 2008 Standard " was introduced around April. This model did not have push / pulls pots, but it had things like the 50s Asymmetrical neck, PCB mounted controls, Nu-Trick Jack, Locking Grovers.... The model was panned and did not sell well.

In response to the " 2008 Standard " not selling. The Traditional was introduced late 2008, after Gibson put out the " 2008 Standard ". The very first batch went to Guitar Center and had Classic Truss Rod Covers on them, Gibson decided to rename it " Traditional " and had GC put blank TRCs on the stock, but not until a few got sold. I got one.

In late 2012 the " 2012 Standard " was introduced - changes were 60s Asymmetrical neck, 2 Push Pulls for Coil Splits, removal of the Nu-Trick Jack. The model was updated in 2014 adding Phase and I believe a Blower / Bypass Push / Pulls on the Tone Knobs.

Les Paul Forum Member

Thank-you Scott for posting that info, very interesting history there.

Les Paul Forum Member cincyguitar's Avatar

I have a Les Paul Trad...but its a Standard to me...can't sound or play any better...

Les Paul Forum Member

This is correct. Before 2008 there wasn´t a Traditional model, well yes, there was, it was the Standard. In fact, the Traditional has always been the Standard. What happened was that Gibson in 2008 created what really is a radical variation of what the Standard was from the 60´s to 2007 and decided to make it “the new Standard”. Of course, they were plain wrong. Nobody wanted those changes (I really don’t know where they got these crazy ideas in the first place). So they had to correct that misstep and what they did was the most confusing and absurd thing since Henry took the company, they rebranded the Standard as Traditional and continue to name the new Standard as the Standard. Bold stupid move. I still hope they correct that nonsense shit someday.

The real thing is, if today you want what historically has been known as the Standard then you buy the Traditional.

Now, what is really more confusing is that the real REAL Standard is the Custom Shop model, with the real REAL correct specifications (thinner binding, correct PAFs, shallow neck angle, push-in machine head bushings, low mass hardware, long tenon, the list goes on...). But now instead of these guitars been the real flagship offering they are reserved for the rich people, the ones who make the big sacrifice of their life and the artists.

Now, that doesn’t mean that the current Traditionals are bad, junk or not as good. They are top professional instruments. Top, top (but always check them in person and test several of them, because of the mass production some ones don’t go out as top as they should). They simply don’t have the historic specs that should be the norm. And they are done with premium wood, but not the exclusive, more reserved woods of the Custom Shops.

There you have it. A little clarification of facts for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    In Early 2008 you could buy either a 50s or 60s necked Standard with a chambered body. The new " 2008 Standard " was introduced around April. This model did not have push / pulls pots, but it had things like the 50s Asymmetrical neck, PCB mounted controls, Nu-Trick Jack, Locking Grovers.... The model was panned and did not sell well.

In response to the " 2008 Standard " not selling. The Traditional was introduced late 2008, after Gibson put out the " 2008 Standard ". The very first batch went to Guitar Center and had Classic Truss Rod Covers on them, Gibson decided to rename it " Traditional " and had GC put blank TRCs on the stock, but not until a few got sold. I got one.

In late 2012 the " 2012 Standard " was introduced - changes were 60s Asymmetrical neck, 2 Push Pulls for Coil Splits, removal of the Nu-Trick Jack. The model was updated in 2014 adding Phase and I believe a Blower / Bypass Push / Pulls on the Tone Knobs.
    Last edited by lvidal; 09-19-18 at 03:50 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member

And about that truss rod cover... The first thing I did when I bought my Standard (Traditional ) was remove it and put a blank one, not because I wanted it to look as a vintage one, but because it looks too much visually charged with the “Traditional” type, then the “Les Paul MODEL” that are two more different types and then the Gibson logo. It’s too much! And that way I gain two things: 1-) a cleaner headstock; 2-) nobody can pinpoint at me as a guy who plays a “Traditional” or a “Standard” or any other. It is a Les Paul and that is enough to know.

Les Paul Forum Member

...And finally, about the question of this thread.

The thing is most artists play Custom Shops that are, as I told you in my first reply, essentially Standards (Traditionals...) but with historic specs and more exclusive woods. And others simply swap the truss rod covers, so, for you to know if they are playing a USA model or a Custom Shop the easiest way is to look at the headstock, if the tuning machines have push-in bushings it is most probably a Custom Shop model (not always, but 95% of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by lvidal View Post
    This is correct. Before 2008 there wasn´t a Traditional model, well yes, there was, it was the Standard. In fact, the Traditional has always been the Standard. What happened was that Gibson in 2008 created what really is a radical variation of what the Standard was from the 60´s to 2007 and decided to make it “the new Standard”. Of course, they were plain wrong. Nobody wanted those changes (I really don’t know where they got these crazy ideas in the first place). So they had to correct that misstep and what they did was the most confusing and absurd thing since Henry took the company, they rebranded the Standard as Traditional and continue to name the new Standard as the Standard. Bold stupid move. I still hope they correct that nonsense shit someday.

The real thing is, if today you want what historically is been known as the Standard then you buy the Traditional.

Now, what is really more confusing is that the real REAL Standard is the Custom Shop model, with the real REAL correct specifications (thinner binding, correct PAFs, shallow neck angle, push-in machine head bushings, low mass hardware, long tenon, the list goes on...). But now instead of these guitars been the real flagship offering they are reserved for the rich people, the ones who make the big sacrifice of their life and the artists.

Now, that doesn’t mean that the current Traditionals are bad, junk or not as good. They are top professional instruments. Top, top (but always check them in person and test several of them, because of the mass production some ones don’t go out as top as they should). They simply don’t have the historic specs that should be the norm. And they are done with premium wood, but not the exclusive, more reserved woods of the Custom Shops.

That is clear and factual?

Les Paul Forum Member

The real thing is, if today you want what historically has been known as the Standard then you buy the Traditional.

The main point is that the Traditional is the most vintage correct LP Standard model of the USA line. Custom Shop/Historic is closer in specs and quality and more expensive.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by zombiwoof View Post
    The main point is that the Traditional is the most vintage correct LP Standard model of the USA line. Custom Shop/Historic is closer in specs and quality and more expensive.
    Al
    What about the Classic? Through the years it's had some vintage correct specs too. Of course not all at the same time. but still...

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keefoman View Post
    What about the Classic? Through the years it's had some vintage correct specs too. Of course not all at the same time. but still...
    You're right, the Classic is a close version of the early 60's LP's. Traditional is more like a 50's vintage LP.
    Al

Les Paul Forum Member

True. But the classic is another crazy mix from Gibson, and recently I have the feeling that they don't know what to do with it. In fact, I really don't know why they call it Classic.
    They really are Standard 60's (Traditionals).

2019 model is a very nice rendition of the 60's Standard.

Gibson should put their shit together and simplify things and correct all these model names once and for all.

The flagship USA model should be the Traditional renamed to Standard and with three options:

Standard 58
    Standard 59
    Standard 60

Life would be a lot simpler that way.

Les Paul Forum Member Deep Purple Fan's Avatar

True. But the classic is another crazy mix from Gibson, and recently I have the feeling that they don't know what to do with it. In fact, I really don't know why they call it Classic.
    They really are Standard 60's (Traditionals).

2019 model is a very nice rendition of the 60's Standard.

Gibson should put their shit together and simplify things and correct all these model names once and for all.

The flagship USA model should be the Traditional renamed to Standard and with three options:

Standard 58
    Standard 59
    Standard 60

Life would be a lot simpler that way.

Brilliant! That works for me big time!

I guess many wouldn't mind a modern version in addition, but then it should be called exactly that; Les Paul Modern. Or maybe Les Paul Contemporary, or they could just continue to use High Performance for the one model with modern features.

Les Paul Forum Member

I’m all about new things. I’m not opposed at all. BUT, a company flagship model should be the ones they are known for, and the ones people love and dream about (58, 59 and 60). All the other models are additionals for the ones that want those features but loves the Les Paul shape.

I guess many wouldn't mind a modern version in addition, but then it should be called exactly that; Les Paul Modern. Or maybe Les Paul Contemporary, or they could just continue to use High Performance for the one model with modern features.

I’m all about new things. I’m not opposed at all. BUT, a company flagship model should be the ones they are known for, and the ones people love and dream about (58, 59 and 60). All the other models are additionals for the ones that want those features but loves the Les Paul shape.
    Totally agree with you. The Gibson USA line should be more affordable versions of the CS historic line with the «modern» one as separate model. As it’s been for many years, it’s a complete mess and a jungle of different features on the same models.

I'd love if Gibson went with 58, 59 and 60 spec standard models. But honestly, I don't see it ever happening (hopefully I'm proven wrong) as I think they intentionally keep things different in order to get some people leaning toward spending more and getting a CS model.

Think of all of the people that buy a standard then tweak it to make it look more like a reissue. There will be many that get a standard and over years slowly convince themselves to upgrade to a CS model, as it's never quite the "real deal" for them. If Gibson started to make their standard model look too close to the reissues they would sell far less reissues.

I'm just glad they've went back to nickel and ABR-1 on a bunch of models. Though they did put the oversized headstock on some of those same models (probably to make it look "not quite the real deal" yes I'm quoting myself)

Les Paul Forum Member

But they don’t have to go more like reissues, that’s not what I’m suggesting. Although personally I think the USA should be just like they were (like the Historic line) I think the USA models are top of the line instruments (when they are done well).

What I mean with my comment is that they should simpllfy things in the model namings and bring them more clear and transparent for the people and stop making a mess with all the non-sense we have seen over the years. I mean, what’s the problem with making a USA Standard ‘58 inspired? What makes a ‘58 different than a ‘59? Well, specially that chunky neck and plain tops, but it doesn’t have to have ONLY plain tops, give people options. They also don’t have to be only Cherryburst, Honeyburst, Gold and Lemonburst. Give them Blueburst, Wine Red, Greenburst, etc. The important things are the ‘58 specs, don’t be shy with the colors. Same with ‘59 and ‘60. I’ll go even farther and each one of them should also have a P90 option too. Those things don’t mean investing more money for them, they just need ORDER inside them.

They have to clean the table and just get rid of all the crazy names, make three standards 58, 59, and 60, offer them with a lot of colors, offer them with P90’s too. Convert the current Standard to High Performance and offer it too, why not. Make the same Standards as Studios 58, 59, 60 with P90 options too, less colors, more solid colors, maple cap and flame veneers, no binding so they are affordable and you can use your less expensive wood. Man... this is not rocket science.