• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Famous musicians with LP Traditional

DylanLP

Hi everyone, thanks for having me in your LP community.

I am just wondering why I have never heard or seen a famous musician with LP Traditional? If you came across anyone apart from yourself :), please let us know.

Last edited:

Big Al

But the traditionals and standards are two different models ;)

So? The Traditional is a Standard. It is a Les Paul Standard Traditional made, supposedly, like late 80's-90's Standards and basically is a Standard without the modern upgrades. I'm sure plenty of pro players use one, but a roll call shouldn't matter at all.

DylanLP

So? The Traditional is a Standard. It is a Les Paul Standard Traditional made, supposedly, like late 80's-90's Standards and basically is a Standard without the modern upgrades. I'm sure plenty of pro players use one, but a roll call shouldn't matter at all.

Interesting good to know. So when the traditional models started? But I haven’t seen any famous musician holding a guitar with a ‘traditional’ truss rod cover.

Big Al

I can't remember the year but it's a recent variation.

TcRoc

Interesting good to know. So when the traditional models started? But I haven’t seen any famous musician holding a guitar with a ‘traditional’ truss rod cover.

There are alot of famous guys that just have a blank truss rod cover .... so its a secret lol.

bobalu

This is correct. I'm old enough to remember that the current "Traditional" model is in fact what the LP Standard was for decades. I'm not sure of the year, but Gibson added all the split coil switching and other modern refinements and it became the new "Standard" model. So a Traditional truly is (was) a Standard. On that basis, and to answer your question, countless artists play LP Standards. As far as the current "Traditional" goes, I don't know what year it was actually introduced but I would wager that tons of artists are plying it as well.

Scott L

In Early 2008 you could buy either a 50s or 60s necked Standard with a chambered body. The new " 2008 Standard " was introduced around April. This model did not have push / pulls pots, but it had things like the 50s Asymmetrical neck, PCB mounted controls, Nu-Trick Jack, Locking Grovers.... The model was panned and did not sell well.

In response to the " 2008 Standard " not selling. The Traditional was introduced late 2008, after Gibson put out the " 2008 Standard ". The very first batch went to Guitar Center and had Classic Truss Rod Covers on them, Gibson decided to rename it " Traditional " and had GC put blank TRCs on the stock, but not until a few got sold. I got one.

In late 2012 the " 2012 Standard " was introduced - changes were 60s Asymmetrical neck, 2 Push Pulls for Coil Splits, removal of the Nu-Trick Jack. The model was updated in 2014 adding Phase and I believe a Blower / Bypass Push / Pulls on the Tone Knobs.

bobalu

Thank-you Scott for posting that info, very interesting history there. :salude

cincyguitar

I have a Les Paul Trad...but its a Standard to me...can't sound or play any better...:dude:

lvidal

This is correct. Before 2008 there wasn´t a Traditional model, well yes, there was, it was the Standard. In fact, the Traditional has always been the Standard. What happened was that Gibson in 2008 created what really is a radical variation of what the Standard was from the 60´s to 2007 and decided to make it “the new Standard”. Of course, they were plain wrong. Nobody wanted those changes (I really don’t know where they got these crazy ideas in the first place). So they had to correct that misstep and what they did was the most confusing and absurd thing since Henry took the company, they rebranded the Standard as Traditional and continue to name the new Standard as the Standard. Bold stupid move. I still hope they correct that nonsense shit someday.

The real thing is, if today you want what historically has been known as the Standard then you buy the Traditional.

Now, what is really more confusing is that the real REAL Standard is the Custom Shop model, with the real REAL correct specifications (thinner binding, correct PAFs, shallow neck angle, push-in machine head bushings, low mass hardware, long tenon, the list goes on...). But now instead of these guitars been the real flagship offering they are reserved for the rich people, the ones who make the big sacrifice of their life and the artists.

Now, that doesn’t mean that the current Traditionals are bad, junk or not as good. They are top professional instruments. Top, top (but always check them in person and test several of them, because of the mass production some ones don’t go out as top as they should). They simply don’t have the historic specs that should be the norm. And they are done with premium wood, but not the exclusive, more reserved woods of the Custom Shops.

There you have it. A little clarification of facts for you.

In Early 2008 you could buy either a 50s or 60s necked Standard with a chambered body. The new " 2008 Standard " was introduced around April. This model did not have push / pulls pots, but it had things like the 50s Asymmetrical neck, PCB mounted controls, Nu-Trick Jack, Locking Grovers.... The model was panned and did not sell well.

In response to the " 2008 Standard " not selling. The Traditional was introduced late 2008, after Gibson put out the " 2008 Standard ". The very first batch went to Guitar Center and had Classic Truss Rod Covers on them, Gibson decided to rename it " Traditional " and had GC put blank TRCs on the stock, but not until a few got sold. I got one.

In late 2012 the " 2012 Standard " was introduced - changes were 60s Asymmetrical neck, 2 Push Pulls for Coil Splits, removal of the Nu-Trick Jack. The model was updated in 2014 adding Phase and I believe a Blower / Bypass Push / Pulls on the Tone Knobs.

Last edited:

lvidal

And about that truss rod cover... The first thing I did when I bought my Standard (Traditional :yah) was remove it and put a blank one, not because I wanted it to look as a vintage one, but because it looks too much visually charged with the “Traditional” type, then the “Les Paul MODEL” that are two more different types and then the Gibson logo. It’s too much! And that way I gain two things: 1-) a cleaner headstock; 2-) nobody can pinpoint at me as a guy who plays a “Traditional” or a “Standard” or any other. It is a Les Paul and that is enough to know.

lvidal

...And finally, about the question of this thread.

The thing is most artists play Custom Shops that are, as I told you in my first reply, essentially Standards (Traditionals...) but with historic specs and more exclusive woods. And others simply swap the truss rod covers, so, for you to know if they are playing a USA model or a Custom Shop the easiest way is to look at the headstock, if the tuning machines have push-in bushings it is most probably a Custom Shop model (not always, but 95% of the time).

Black58

This is correct. Before 2008 there wasn´t a Traditional model, well yes, there was, it was the Standard. In fact, the Traditional has always been the Standard. What happened was that Gibson in 2008 created what really is a radical variation of what the Standard was from the 60´s to 2007 and decided to make it “the new Standard”. Of course, they were plain wrong. Nobody wanted those changes (I really don’t know where they got these crazy ideas in the first place). So they had to correct that misstep and what they did was the most confusing and absurd thing since Henry took the company, they rebranded the Standard as Traditional and continue to name the new Standard as the Standard. Bold stupid move. I still hope they correct that nonsense shit someday.

The real thing is, if today you want what historically is been known as the Standard then you buy the Traditional.

Now, what is really more confusing is that the real REAL Standard is the Custom Shop model, with the real REAL correct specifications (thinner binding, correct PAFs, shallow neck angle, push-in machine head bushings, low mass hardware, long tenon, the list goes on...). But now instead of these guitars been the real flagship offering they are reserved for the rich people, the ones who make the big sacrifice of their life and the artists.

Now, that doesn’t mean that the current Traditionals are bad, junk or not as good. They are top professional instruments. Top, top (but always check them in person and test several of them, because of the mass production some ones don’t go out as top as they should). They simply don’t have the historic specs that should be the norm. And they are done with premium wood, but not the exclusive, more reserved woods of the Custom Shops.

That is clear and factual? :hmm

zombiwoof

The real thing is, if today you want what historically has been known as the Standard then you buy the Traditional.

The main point is that the Traditional is the most vintage correct LP Standard model of the USA line. Custom Shop/Historic is closer in specs and quality and more expensive.
Al

Keefoman

The main point is that the Traditional is the most vintage correct LP Standard model of the USA line. Custom Shop/Historic is closer in specs and quality and more expensive.
Al
What about the Classic? Through the years it's had some vintage correct specs too. Of course not all at the same time. but still... :)

zombiwoof

What about the Classic? Through the years it's had some vintage correct specs too. Of course not all at the same time. but still... :)

You're right, the Classic is a close version of the early 60's LP's. Traditional is more like a 50's vintage LP.
Al

lvidal

True. But the classic is another crazy mix from Gibson, and recently I have the feeling that they don't know what to do with it. In fact, I really don't know why they call it Classic.
They really are Standard 60's (Traditionals).

2019 model is a very nice rendition of the 60's Standard.

Gibson should put their shit together and simplify things and correct all these model names once and for all.

The flagship USA model should be the Traditional renamed to Standard and with three options:

Standard 58
Standard 59
Standard 60

Life would be a lot simpler that way.

True. But the classic is another crazy mix from Gibson, and recently I have the feeling that they don't know what to do with it. In fact, I really don't know why they call it Classic.
They really are Standard 60's (Traditionals).

2019 model is a very nice rendition of the 60's Standard.

Gibson should put their shit together and simplify things and correct all these model names once and for all.

The flagship USA model should be the Traditional renamed to Standard and with three options:

Standard 58
Standard 59
Standard 60

Life would be a lot simpler that way.

Brilliant! That works for me big time!