• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Parsons Street PU's anyone

michaelb

Has anyone installed the StewMac Parsons Street pickups? I'm at my wits end fooling around with the 57 classic and plus PU's that came with my 2012 LP. Iv'e tried different magnets and adjusting the PU's out the wazoo and tried adjusting my Fender amp. The neck seems muffled like a blanket covers it and the bridge is very bright. To my ears they do not sound matched well. Now, I like "beefy" but I also like clarity. My style blues/rock. I've read lots of forums. Still not satisfied. Thinking I need a PU change after all this work. I've looked at SD Antiquities and Wolfetone Vintage and Legends then read about the Parson Street PU's, a much cheaper, cost wise, pickup. I haven't a lot of cash to throw around. Any ideas or suggestions? I truly appreciate your comments.

Zentar

Ive tried all kind of pickups, pots and capacitors over the years.

One time I changed the 10" speaker in my amp. I was amazed at how much improvement I heard.

J.D.

Maybe try some magnet swaps before completely changing the pickups.

michaelb

Yes I’ve done many magnet swaps A2 to A8 with various combinations resulting in dull in neck not clear and too bright in bridge. I’m looking for neck clarity with a balanced not ice-pick bridge and tonal
“blooming” notes....they open up near the end. I tried changing bridge volume pot metered at 300 and
neck vol pot metered at 530. Same results.

michaelb

Yes, someone commented that they sounded good and they are much cheaper than the Wolfetones I’m looking at. I’m getting tired of d-tuning, d-soldering, soldering and tuning. That’s the price of the journey. Also, Zentar mentioned changing the speaker. I have a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. I modified it, it was way too loud on 3 and farty, useing the Fromel Electronics (Seattle) Superior parts kit, changed the speaker to a Weber Vintage, a Cleartone output transformer and some tubes. It sounds sweet and I can crank it to break up......when my wife isn’t home. Anyway, I feel like a mad scientist in the lab turning knobs and adjusting. I’m just waiting to say, “It’s alive”.

latestarter

Yes, someone commented that they sounded good and they are much cheaper than the Wolfetones I’m looking at. I’m getting tired of d-tuning, d-soldering, soldering and tuning. That’s the price of the journey. Also, Zentar mentioned changing the speaker. I have a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. I modified it, it was way too loud on 3 and farty, useing the Fromel Electronics (Seattle) Superior parts kit, changed the speaker to a Weber Vintage, a Cleartone output transformer and some tubes. It sounds sweet and I can crank it to break up......when my wife isn’t home. Anyway, I feel like a mad scientist in the lab turning knobs and adjusting. I’m just waiting to say, “It’s alive”.

That mad scientist is in all of us at varying degrees.

renderit

Not me. I don't 'speriment on nuttin' anymore after dat mistake which spawned me...

LtKojak

I’m looking for neck clarity with a balanced not ice-pick bridge and tonal
“blooming” notes....they open up near the end
Well, asking for "that" specifically and not wanting to pay for it, is an oxymoron.

The Parsons Street p'ups are quite decent for what they cost, however, the neck will sound a lot better with an A3 mag instead of the A2.

I personally don't like these p'ups with an A5 magnet.

Dperalta

I put a set in an Epiphone Dot last year and really liked them. I've been wanting to order a set to try in one of my Les pauls since then.

David

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I’ve done many magnet swaps A2 to A8 with various combinations resulting in dull in neck not clear and too bright in bridge. I tried changing bridge volume pot metered at 300 and
neck vol pot metered at 530. Same results.

The neck seems muffled like a blanket covers it and the bridge is very bright. To my ears they do not sound matched well.

The 300k pot isn’t really the way to go for opening up a neck pick up. Conversely, having the 530k pot on a too bright bridge pickup is only going to accentuate the ice pick treble frequency. Swap the pots for a cheap fix. Or get a new 500k volume and tone pots all around with whatever new pickups you decide on.