• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Collector’s choice #8 Pickups

jimknopf

Wondering about the pickups in my CC#8 "The Beast". Spec says BB#2 and BB#3 but look what's really in:

Attachments

• 20180807_200533.jpg
    20180807_200533.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 95
Wondering about the pickups in my CC#8 "The Beast". Spec says BB#2 and BB#3 but look what's really in:

They....GIBSON,,,,says they have 24/7 customer service. Call them on it.

The Beast bridge pick up is supposed to be pretty hot. How does this guitar sound.

This is makes you wonder about Gibson even more.

jimeh77

Hmm, can we CC owners sue Gibson?

We have a simple strong case here, this is a fraud.

Bruce R

Shouldn't we be more concerned about how it sounds?

duaneflowers

Did you buy that guitar new? :hmm

My CC#8 (and others I've seen) had no BB Stickers but they spec out at 8.83kΩ and 8.37kΩ (which is in stark contrast to the 8.4kΩ and 7.4kΩ that Gibson advertises for Burstbuckers). Granted, they said that the Beast had 'a custom-wound set of pickups that includes a Burstbucker #2 in the neck and a Burstbucker #3 in the bridge', and my understanding is that they were basically off the shelf Bursbuckers with A5 mags instead of the usual A2.

In that Gibson pickups are notoriously inconsistent it is possible they were handpicking the ones they liked best for the guitar, but I kind of think they just grabbed whatever was on the shelf.

38670966_10216052468801095_2827703719183777792_n.jpg

jimknopf

Bought it used but really unplayed some days ago. Was kept in case and original box for years since the previous owner bought it new from a store. I've several Les Pauls with Custombuckers, Burstbucker #1 and Burstbucker #3. The Beasts balance between neck and bridge is perfect. Bridge seems to be loud enough, no need for higher output. DCR resistance is 8.3 kOhm for bridge and 8.4 kOhm for neck which is quite equal. Compared to the other BB#3 (8.5 kOhm) I own they are close to BB#3. I'll get in contact with the store and Gibson to clarify.

Readings of all my Custombuckers is ~8.1 KOhm, Burstbucker#1 ~7.7 KOhm and Burstbucker #3 ~8.5 kOhm.

Got in contact with Gibson by Talk2Us. They'll send a Burstbucker #3. Will take some weeks to arrive.

Last edited:
Bought it used but really unplayed some days ago. Was kept in case and original box for years since the previous owner bought it new from a store. I've several Les Pauls with Custombuckers, Burstbucker #1 and Burstbucker #3. The Beasts balance between neck and bridge is perfect. Bridge seems to be loud enough, no need for higher output. DCR resistance is 8.3 kOhm for bridge and 8.4 kOhm for neck which is quite equal. Compared to the other BB#3 (8.5 kOhm) I own they are close to BB#3. I'll get in contact with the store and Gibson to clarify.

Readings of all my Custombuckers is ~8.1 KOhm, Burstbucker#1 ~7.7 KOhm and Burstbucker #3 ~8.5 kOhm.

Got in contact with Gibson by Talk2Us. They'll send a Burstbucker #3. Will take some weeks to arrive.

Thats great news. Glad they stepped up.