• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

AVRI 52 Tele finish chipping

The Shifter

I have a 2016 AVRI 52 Tele that I got brand new. It has a pretty brittle finish that chips really easily. I don't really mind that, personally. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

chippytele.jpg

Xpensive Wino

I have a 2016 AVRI 52 Tele that I got brand new. It has a pretty brittle finish that chips really easily. I don't really mind that, personally. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

chippytele.jpg

It can only be a good thing, IMO.

The "nitro" finish used on most Fender reissues is brittle and sticky, in my experience. For regulatory reasons the formula used on new guitars had to be changed, and the results are not ideal.

When I got one of the first "'52" Tele reissues in the 80's, I swapped the body with a '67 I had. The results were much better in every way.

Shakey

Mine is a 2017 and it is already pretty battle-scarred, it's the guitar I use at work (teaching guitar in schools) so it get's a fair amount of mileage and gets dinged a fair amount. I've also found that the nitro reacts with most everything and can go black and kind of tacky. The body is pretty brittle but the neck finish is kind of "gummy" though it has come away from above the dot inlays on the top of the neck. I'd be lying if i said I didn't like the way it looks and how it's aged and I'm not one to baby it, like I said I teach guitar and play in bands for a living, when I'm taking the bus around and going from school to school I'm not going to be throwing my 58 ri LP or my 63RI 335 in a gig bag and leaving it propped up in the corner of a room but a tele can take that kind of treatment.....

Here's a ling to a gallery of pic's I just took, I don;t know how to make them look all good and stuff and they're only crappy phone pictures but you'll get the idea!

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/UDZaOf5"><a href="//imgur.com/UDZaOf5"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bern1

Which is why they went to poly finishes in the first place.

The Shifter

Mine is a 2017 and it is already pretty battle-scarred, it's the guitar I use at work (teaching guitar in schools) so it get's a fair amount of mileage and gets dinged a fair amount. I've also found that the nitro reacts with most everything and can go black and kind of tacky. The body is pretty brittle but the neck finish is kind of "gummy" though it has come away from above the dot inlays on the top of the neck. I'd be lying if i said I didn't like the way it looks and how it's aged and I'm not one to baby it, like I said I teach guitar and play in bands for a living, when I'm taking the bus around and going from school to school I'm not going to be throwing my 58 ri LP or my 63RI 335 in a gig bag and leaving it propped up in the corner of a room but a tele can take that kind of treatment.....

Here's a ling to a gallery of pic's I just took, I don;t know how to make them look all good and stuff and they're only crappy phone pictures but you'll get the idea!

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/UDZaOf5"><a href="//imgur.com/UDZaOf5"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

haha. That's it. Looks just like mine!